1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Organizing photos onto cds

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by logoner, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. logoner

logoner Thread Starter

Is there any program with which I can arrange the orderof random photos onto a cd, including insertiing photos taken by someone else, to create a chronological flow of events? I don't see it spelled out in Picasa, --although there are a lot of things I don't see!Thanks, Bill

2. bkdc

bkdc

If you want to arrange your photos in chronological order it does not require any special software.

Copy all your photos into one directory and sort them by "DATE PICTURE TAKEN".
    To do this:
    Change your view in Windows Explorer to DETAILS, if your display does not show "DATE PICTURE TAKEN", right click the title bar, click more in the drop down menu, put a check in Date Picture Taken, click OK. Refresh Explorer, and click Date Picture Taken in the title bar to sort.
    Now just burn the directory to your cd.

3. sneas

sneas

I found how to sort by "DATE PICTURE TAKEN" in Windows Explorer. That works fine.
    But when I copy my pictures to a CD and try to sort them, that column in the details view is all blank. When I right-click/Properties for each file, the DATE PICTURE TAKEN info is still there. If I copy files from the CD back to the hard drive, the info shows up in the detail column properly.

Am I doing something wrong here? How can I sort the files once they are on the CD?
    I am burning the CD using the standard WinXP copying, burning all the files at the end.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    -Steve

4. slipe

slipe

To change files once they are on a CD you have to use RW media and packet writing software. Even if you use RW with regular mastering software like the XP burning software you can only erase the RW and start over. There is no way to rearrange files already on the CD with that software. And no way to rearrange files already on a regular CDR with any software.

5. sneas

sneas

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I don't need to modify the physical data on the CD. I just want to view the file lists in the "details" view in Windows Explorer. When I look at the list of picture files on the CD, I can sort the view by name, or size, or other columns.
    But the "Date Picture Taken" column comes up all blank. With files on the hard drive, this column has the dates listed, and I can sort by this column, which is what I want to do.

Maybe the CD driver doesn't read all the EXIF data automatically, like the hard drive does?

6. slipe

slipe

It isn’t evidently fetched from the EXIF as that function is available for all files.

If you right click on Name column along the top and don’t have a choice of checking Date Created I would guess your analysis is correct that the computer can’t read all the data associated with the files on the CD.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice