1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Organizing Pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jfj600w, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jfj600w

jfj600w Thread Starter

I am trying to get all my pictures organized in some form or another just to be able to fine them when I need them. What is the easiest way to do this? I have tried the "Search" program and wind up with all sorts of ICONS, SYMBOLS, etc that I do not have a clue where they came from or what to do with them.

Trust me my pictures are scattered in a lot of different files....and these are pictures that are all basically downloaded from a camera.

Thanks for anyones help and patience.

J Fred Jones:confused:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I find the My Pictures folder useful for picture storage.

3. Cyps

Cyps

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

the best thing to do is to make a new folder and give it a name before you dump pictures into it... ie: joes bar, evening party, vacation pictures...

as far as the pictures you already have... good luck sorting them

5. slipe

slipe

A system I ran across has helped me keep things where I can find them. When you make a folder to dump your photos into start the folder name with a 6 digit date in year, month day format like: 070701 for today. Then add something to identify the photos. Example “070622 Fred’s party and fishing” The advantage of that is the folders will always be in chronological order.

I use multiple cameras and can usually remember which I used, so my major headings are the camera. I don’t like to break things down more than that.

When I first renamed the old folders to the new system by adding the date in front of the description I used the right click > Photo Info to identify the date of the last photo in the folder. I never had photos spread around the computer though. Maybe something like Picasa would help you find them all for you, but I don’t like having a program organize my photos for me. Reading posts on photo boards, most pros seem to have reverted back to a system similar to what I’m using after using sophisticated organizing programs like IMatch.

6. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Like buck said it's best to make our own folders and keep them where you want them. Maintain your system like a filing cabinet, it makes things easier and quicker to find. Here's an example of what I do. I like to keep it simple.

Attached Files:

• snap.jpg
      snap.jpg
      File size:
      180.8 KB
      Views:
  7. jfj600w

jfj600w Thread Starter

Well...thanks for the fast response......I understand all that but with my pictures spread EVERYWHERE on my computer....what is the easiest way to FIND them all..without getting a lot of the pics that came with my computer? Any suggestions on that ?

Thanks....

8. Cyps

Cyps

I repeat try Picasa.

9. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    He might not have listened to you because you didn't offer an explanation as to what it could do for him. The comment " try Picasa wouldn't mean much to me either but if you said " try Picasa because........... " you have a better shot at getting my attention.

10. slipe

slipe

If the pictures are from your digital camera, many cameras name the pictures with a prefix you can search for. CMIG for Casio, DSCN for Nikon, DSCF for Fuji or IMGP for Pentax as examples. There are a couple of brands that just number the photos with a P followed by a long number and those would require a different approach. But if your camera or cameras assigned a unique prefix to the photos a Windows search should just find photos from the camera.

You can drag the columns in the search results to see the whole path to the photos.

My approach if I had your problem of photos scattered over the computer would be to use the freeware Irfanview if the photos had a unique prefix and Windows search found them. Open one in Irfanview and hit the T key. Irfanview will make thumbnails of all the images in that particular folder. You can create new folders to put the photos in directly from Irfanview thumbnails with a right click in the navigator. Options > Select All will highlight them all. Right click one of the highlighted photos and “Move Selected Files”.

11. Cyps

Cyps

He'd already explained what he wanted and I made a direct response to that. If someone gave me a response I wouldn't expect them to repeat what I'd already asked for. Maybe you should ask J Fred Jones why he didn't respond. As for yourself that's another matter, and it could potentially be to your disadvantage if you failed to respond to a hyperlink just because it wasn't explained in detail beforehand.

12. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    :rolleyes:
    Picasa will do many things besides what the poster is trying to achieve in case you didn't know.
    You are assuming everyone on the planet thinks like you ?

I really don't care what he thinks.
    Personally speaking I don't like the program and wouldn't use it.

I know what the program is capable of doing and there are much easier ways. Some folks here have mentioned them.... Slipe for example is truly trying to assist with actual instructions. As far as the original poster not coming back maybe you didn't notice he / she has only posted twice. Both times in this thread. He /she may never come back again and if he /she does it's probable he / she won't post what he / she thought was best for him / her. That said... many other people might have the same issue so posting a proper response would be in order.. imo of course. If you fail to understand it then please don't waste my time with yet another pointless reply.

Have yourself a great day.

13. Cyps

Cyps

I'm afraid it is you who are making pointless replies Guyzer. You have degenerated this thread with your unwarranted bad attitude. I suggest you read the forum rules before ticking people off for no good purpose. This is a friendly forum and we can all agree or disagree but don't get nasty. Take some advice, don't answer for other people unless you have something positive to add and add some manners to yourself also. I will ignore any other posts you make as you are obviously not someone worth replying to further.

14. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Likewise and thank you very much.............:)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice