Organizing web site files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Palmero

Hi,

I have a web site with so far 33 pages and I am constantly adding more. The site contains images and ads; both banners and text ads with my own photos. The question is how do I best organize the files: do I open a new sub-folder for every page? And then a subfolder for the images etc.? Many of the images are placed on more than one page.

Will it slow down the loading of the site if there are several directory levels?

I would appreciate any ideas you might have on this issue.

Cheers

Palmero

leroys1000

Banned
You can make on folder in your root directory for images and
place all your images there.
Then set the image links in your pages to that folder.
Something like www.yourdomain.com/images/image.jpg
This means you will have to redo you pages so the links
point to the proper image.
You can create folders for your pages,but that will increase
the length of the URL to something like
www.yourdomain.com/foldername/page.
Probably better to leave them in the root directory unless there
is some special need for something else.

Palmero

Hi leroys1000
Thanks for the answer.
I get your point. However, the idea with a folder for each page should be to keep everything that goes on a page together. If I place all images in one folder and every page has 10-15 images, I will have to look for them among the hundreds of images in the image folder, where they are organized alphabetically. (I use Mac OS X).
Is there another way of doing this to avoid long URls?

In the image folder, make more folders. That solves your "hundreds of images" problem.

Rather than make a new folder for each page, put all the pages in root and just make subfolders in the image folder for the images to that page.

leroys1000

Banned
It's best to have images that are the same on all pages in one folder.
That way you can use one image for all the pages.
Like,if you have a banner that is the same on every page,
you would just link every page to that one banner image,
instead of the same image in a bunch of different folders.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online