Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

origin of message : "xxx is not a valid windows image."

111K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  gsr001 
#1 ·
Hi all!

Just starting out on this forum, so I hope you can help me out.

I have a program installed that uses a dll. Recently, I started getting the following error message:
"The application or dll xxxx is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette." (xxxx being my dll path and name; message translated from french, but I'm sure you'll recognise it, I've seen the same kind on the forums elsewhere)

My issue is not to replace the dll, I know it's not corrupt, but it is in a weird format, which might explain the message.

However, what I'd like to know is why windows is suddenly so worried about this dll, and if there's anything I can do to simply tell windows to ignore it. At which point does windows decide to check this local dll? (the program is installed locally in it's own folders, nothing in system32 or elsewhere)

Hope you can help me out!

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Generally this error means you got the wrong version of the dll installed. IE you are running XP and installed one for Win98 and the one for XP is slightly different.

Sometimes this is a path issue and all you need to do is to copy (not move) the DLL and put it with the others in System32

In addition there are a few specific problems which cause this type of error
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907300

Autocad also has a similar problem for which there is a patch.
So please be more specific.
Is this just one dll? If so what is it?
What application and what consequence?

You should also try reregistering the dll
using your example
go to start / run and type
regsvr32 xxxx.dll
hit enter and wait for it to say success

h

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!

The program is a personal development, and the dll isn't actually a dll, just masquerading as one. This is why I know I have the right version :p

Basically, I have the program set up on several machines, and it's been working fine except on this one. I'm just trying to figure out why windows has decided to pick up on this one not having a valid dll format and not on the others.

Is it possible that some antivirus program or spyware/adware program is checking and getting windows to give the message? Though, from what I've seen, it's a purely windows system message.

I'm not trying to execute it as a dll, so I don't know why windows is checking it.

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.