1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Original product key, different disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bkbritt87, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkbritt87

bkbritt87 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have an issue where I don't have a Windows installation disk to my computer. The PC came with XP already installed, and if it had an installation disk, it's very lost.

I do however have the product key, as it had been stickered to the side of the CPU. I'm betting on a no, but if I have a product key from my computer and borrow an installation disk from my friend, would that work?

If no, is there anything I can do at this point besides buying new software if I need to reinstall windows?

Thank you so much for any help you could be.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What you have is an OEM version. The product key sticker from Microsoft is your license, and if you can find a compatible Windows disk you can use it. Depending on the brand of the machine, you may need a specific OEM brand disk, like Dell.

3. bkbritt87

bkbritt87 Thread Starter

That's so relieving JohnWill, thank you.

By compatible, do you mean the same version of windows (in this case, Windows XP Home addtion)?

Lastly, the computer brand is Hewlett Packard. Would you know if I needed a specific disk for HP or not?

Once again, thank you so much.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

HP since I believe 2003 hasn't been including the operating system disks with the computers. They have a recovery partition that you are supposed to make your own recovery disks.

HP "lumps" everything together, i.e. Operating systems, drivers, installed programs, etc. in their recovery disks. You can go online to the HP store and with the model and serial number of your unit you can get a set of recovery disks from HP.

I just worked on 2 HP computers where we had to order the disks and as I recall they were about $25 per set.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/399879

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice