1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Original Windows Games(cannot access)

Discussion in 'Games' started by med92303, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

Hello everyone,:D I just copied my whole old hard drive to my new larger one and everything has been working great with it, until last night when my daughter tried to open the microsoft paint program and it would not open, come to find out neither would the microsoft word, notepad, solitaire, freecell, spider solitaire, or any of the other games as well, i tried to go to remove/add windows components but it wont let me re-add the programs w/o the original windows professional xp c.d., which I do not have because I bought the computer off of someone else through the net almost a year ago, is there any other way to put these original microsoft programs back on my os? Thankyou for your help and I look forward to hearing from someone soon, Thanks again!!!!!:eek:

2. tacoman359

tacoman359

You're probably missing all the registry keys for those programs. When you say "it would not open", what do you mean? Does nothing at all come up? Do you get an error message?

3. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

yes i get an error message it says this shortcut has been removed, renamed, or deleted or network or drive connection referred to is unavailable then it says the item has been removed renamed or deleted would u like to remove it from the list? then i try to re-add it through add/remove windows components but it says i need the original windows xp cd which i dont have....? any help i would greatly appreciate, my little one loves to draw on the paint program and my husband and i like to play those original games

4. moneybankz

moneybankz

Hi

you could just download the programs of the net separately or get a install disc from net or form someone else

5. tacoman359

tacoman359

Downloading the programs off the Internet would be illegal. You might have the programs, but the shortcuts could be pointing to the wrong place. Go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and look for mshearts.exe or sol.exe. If you do not have those files, then you do not have the games on your computer.

6. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

ok thankyou i will look for the programs that way, now i cloned my original hard drive to the new larger one and the games etc. are not on the new drive but they were on my old drive and worked properly, i even plugged the old drive back in to check again and i could access the games. thankyou for all of your help, there is alot of other paint programs and games that are not the windows original games but are similar that i could download. thankyou for all of your help. i used the program xxclone do u think theres a way to just try to re-copy those files im missing? thanks for all of your help, I reall appreciate it!!!!!!

7. tacoman359

tacoman359

That's because your trying to open the shortcut, but the shortcut points to the location that the games were on for the old hard drive, not the new one. Are you on Windows XP? I created a file that restores the shortcuts in your start menu, assuming that Windows is installed in your C:. Open My Computer and tell me which drive you installed Windows to.

8. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

ok well i first had the xp installed on my old drive 3gbs then i cloned the drive to my new hard drive 40gbs but i took out the old drive out, and set the new larger one to master and am using that to boot my os yes it has windows xp professional sv pk 2. id really appreciate ur help!!!!!!!!!!!

9. tacoman359

tacoman359

Then the shortcut is pointing to the wrong place. You didn't overwrite the files that were on the old hard drive with the files that were on the new hard drive, right? If you did, you need to reinstall Windows. If you didn't, tell me the directory that you copied the other hard drive to and I'll tell you how to edit the shortcuts to point them towards the games.

Are you trying to access the games through the start menu or through a different location? If you didn't overwrite your new hard drive with the files from the old one, then you should be able to launch the games from the start menu, assuming that your new hard drive had the games on it before copying over the old hard drive.

When you say "clone", you just mean copy right?

Did you find those files in C:\WINDOWS\system32?

I think my first assumption was wrong. I'm pretty sure those games don't use any registry keys. The only program that you couldn't access that does use registry keys is Microsoft Word.

10. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

oh hello again umm i did go to system 32 and i found the microsoft spider solitaire game and the microsoft paint program but they're the only two i found out of the games and programs i was looking for but maybe they were in another folder in there? there was so many things in there i didn't even know that i had, yes i just copied my old hard drive directly to my new hard drive, which my new hard drive was empty, and then i took out the old drive reset the new one as a master and am using that one for windows now, i dont believe i overwrote anything, as far as i know, im just learning all of this stuff as i go along.... thankyou for your help and i will be waiting for what u think i should do next? thankyou so so so much for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

oh yeah i almost forgot i do try to access it from the start menu-accesories-games then it says empty? now when i was using the old drive they were there a whole list of games popped right up.....im not sure what u mean by the directory i copied the other drive to?.... i just downloaded the program xxclone and copied my entire c drive(old one) to the target drive (new one).... does that help?

12. tacoman359

tacoman359

Download this (use this link if you can't access it) file and run it. It will automatically save all of the shortcuts to your start menu in a folder called "Games".

13. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

ok thankyou im trying the second one right now i really appreciate all of your help i clicked on your signature link are u really fifteen? if so you should really go to a good college and further your studies!!! i have a brother whos fourteen and hes so good with computers although he couldnt help me out with this but hes learning anyway sorry to be nosey i think its great when kids are so smart, anyways good luck in whatever u do... ill let u know if this worked thanks again

14. med92303

med92303 Thread Starter

hello again i downloaded the second one and its cool normadesktop its like another hard drive but i dont see anything about the games so i tried the first one and when i went to install it says file allready exsists replace this 798kbs with this new one 314kbs should i do it? i wasn't sure since its saying the file allready exsists and its larger than the new one i didnt want to erase any of them? what do u think?

15. tacoman359

tacoman359

Just say yes, the worst that could happen is the equivalent of nothing.

And yes I'm 15 :D.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice