Orinoco Wireless Mini-PCI Card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jamesbush955

I've just installled this adpter in my laptop. I found out that if the SSID of my Access Point is hidden or not broadcasting I'm not able to connect manually. If the SSID is broadcasted the adapter works fine. I've checked to make sure it has the lastest drivers as far as I can see it does. I'm not finding much for support for this product though. Can somebody please help me out?

Thanks
James

TerryNet

Terry
Use WPA encryption with a passphrase of 20+ characters. Forget the supposed "security" measures like not broadcasting SSID, MAC address filtering and the like. They don't keep the bad guys out, and are usually pretty effective at giving you trouble with your own network.

Still doesnt matter, you need to use the WPA or WiFi sec if you are really worried about security. Disabling the SSID broacast will not sav you from someone if they want to hit you. and the wep is a joke.

jamesbush955

I appriciate all the security tips, and will take advantage of them. I didn't know that WEP is that weak. The issue I want to solve is my internal wireless adapter will not allow me to enter a hidden SSID. I know the AP is there but I'm not able to connect for some reason. Does anyone out there have a similar card. It's a ORiNoco Wireless LAN PC Card (mini-pci) I have inside my laptop right now. Thank you again for the response.

James

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online