OS 10 failed to install update successfully

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Allicia_T

Hello,
On 11/24/20, I had my computer update and restart, since I saw the update icon saying it needed to. It took a good while so I did other stuff in the mean time. When I was at my log in screen I assumed it was done.
Later I saw a notification message stating failed to install update successfully.
I was wondering what I need to do now? Is it safe to shutdown and reboot my computer when needed, etc?
Now, this AM I got a that update icon again saying I need to restart and update. I chose to delay this until Sunday so I'd have time to post here. See snip, which shows my update history.

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Please do the following in that computer:

Download and save the tsginfo.exe file.
After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
Information about that computer will appear.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

-------------------------------------------------

Allicia_T

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20190810135846.000000-300
Processor: AMD A9-9430 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 2
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics, 512 MB
Hard Drives: C: 909 GB (787 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO 364F, ver SDK0J40700 WIN 3258080536252
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 11E0, s/n R303V0LB
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

*** I also have McAfee LiveSafe on my computer

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to your log:
You have this Lenovo IdeaCentre 310S-08ASR Type 90G9 Model 0020US Desktop PC.
It was purchased in June 2017 and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
Windows 10 Version 1909 Build 18363 64-bit is currently installed in it.

Thanks for saying that McAfee LiveSafe is installed and that its built-in antivirus app (Windows Security aka Windows Defender) is disabled.
Windows 10 can have issues when using a third-party antivirus app, so it's recommended to stick with its built-in antivirus app.
One of the common issues is Windows 10 updates failing to install.
That may be why you can't get it to update from Version 1909 to Version 2004.

You might want to add and save the above link to your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it if needed.

Allicia_T

Is it okay to reboot, etc. then? This is the first time I saw that failed to install update message.

Allicia_T

I've decided it may be best to create a system restore point, before I do another restart and update (which windows is prompting me to do). I looked up how to create a restore point. I have two questions related to this restore point procedure:
1-in the system properties window (see snip), I see two items: Windows C system and Lenovo_part folder. Windows C is on. Lenovo_part is off. Should that be on also for the restore process?
2-When I click on configure button, in the new window > disk space Usage> what should I sent that bar to? It's currently 1%. I'm not sure what this is. I'm inclined to think this is how much space windows can use to create the system restore point?

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You should uninstall McAfee LiveSafe before you attempt again to update Windows 10.
It may or may not be causing the update issue, but you should get rid of it anyway and stick with Windows 10's built-in antivirus app.

Allicia_T

I understand what you want me to do, but I am reluctant to do this uninstall, because the windows antivirus program has let me down in the past, and I've been warned not to rely on it by many in the tech field, as well as friends who were let down by it. Also, getting help from Microsoft is about impossible if an issue does crop up and they charge to boot! I learned that the expensive way as well. That's why I have McAfee.

If I do not uninstall McAfee, then I shouldn't shutdown or reboot due to this update conflict, unless there's away to stop the update? I've not heard of this conflict, but this is my first Lenovo computer, which I bought new, from the store July 2018. Not sure why it says 2017 in the info from techguy utility.

If I cannot shutdown or reboot, because I cannot do this update, is my computer is doomed? Is there anyway to stop the updating? I know that's stupid idea, but I seem to have no other recourse if my computer is not going to be able to do the update anyways. I cannot afford a new computer. Any chance you could help with my question regarding creating a system back up, so I can at least do that? I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thinking outside the box, could I uninstall McAfee, turn on windows protection, install the updates, and then reinstall McAfee? I really absolutely do not trust Microsoft protection and lack of true support.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you have any doubt about when your computer was purchased, HERE is the website with the warranty information.

I made a suggestion to you, but it's your choice whether to follow it or not.
You cannot go forever without shutting down or restarting your computer.

Allicia_T

Yes I know I cannot go without shutting down, but it seemed like that's what is indicated. So is it a case of unless I remove McAfee there is no help available to? The work around isn't acceptable as a possible solution (see below)? Believe me I also understand how important updates are! I just can't fathom a computer being doomed forever due to not getting an update. But apparently that may be the case?

I know when I purchased the computer. No doubt on that. I do not know when the store I got it from (staples) purchased it. I know it was new out of the box, not a display model, or refurbished. I've been burned by refurbished computers. I know I asked a million questions, when I got it, as I knew what I was looking for, within my price range.

I did ask about a possible work around regarding McAfee and if that would work, technically, and explained why I asked. I also Asked about two questions regarding creating a restore point. I really want to do that before anything else. I understand if you want to take a hands off approach with my original issue, and I do respect that. I do appreciate the time you've given. The 2nd question is related to the original, and was hoping to get some guidance for the restore point creation. I have already saved onto flash drives, all my important/critical files. Could you please answer those two questions?

Tech guys is an awesome service, and I've always appreciated the help. It's invaluable. I can't possibly sum up how helpful Tech Guys have been over the years! Thank You. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts