OS and windows usb bootable drive not detected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chzo

After installing Ubuntu to try and counter poor WiFi speeds with the new windows 10 update I saw too many issues and tried to switch back. I plugged in my windows usb boot drive and restarted my laptop, not only did the windows installation not begin, but no trace of Ubuntu was shown. I'm sent to the boot manager but my usb is not present and I cannot do anything to boot my laptop.

In bios, my ssd drive, which is meant to have Ubuntu, is still recognised, legacy mode and switching off secure boot has not worked and there is only so much tweaking I can do in bios. My laptop is completely unusable at the moment with no previous hardware issues.

I'm usually pretty confident with tech but this feels out of my league at the moment, I really don't know what to do. Any help would be very appreciated!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial number of your laptop?

-------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
There are numerous 720s models.
What's the exact serial number on yours?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That doesn't tell me what "Machine Type" and "Model" it is.
That's why I requested the serial number.

What "windows usb boot drive" are you referring to?
Where and how did you obtain it?

I'll be off-line for a few hours, so I'll check back here later.

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Chzo

My bad,

What "windows usb boot drive" are you referring to?
Where and how did you obtain it?

I'll be off-line for a few hours, so I'll check back here later.

Ok thanks. My apologies, I didn't realise the serial number was useful, it's PF0YE1K0.

And I have two separate usbs I mounted the windows 10 setup ISO on which I have used previously, however neither are detected.

After turning on my laptop it says default boot device missing or boot failed and sends me to an empty boot manager.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
That serial number came back "not found" at the Lenovo support site.
Please re-read it to see if you incorrectly copied one or more characters.

I'm not there, so I'm guessing there's an issue with your Windows 10 install USB thumb drive.
Also make sure the USB drive is set first in the boot order in the BIOS.

Chzo

That serial number came back "not found" at the Lenovo support site.
Please re-read it to see if you incorrectly copied one or more characters.

I'm not there, so I'm guessing there's an issue with your Windows 10 install USB thumb drive.
Also make sure the USB drive is set first in the boot order in the BIOS.

Hmm, perhaps the 0's are actually O's but that's the only error I can see I might have made.

I think the same thing, either it's my thumb drive or perhaps something awkward happened after I installed Ubuntu and my ssd has corrupted?

I will try with a different usb tomorrow and hope I don't have to replace the ssd.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
It doesn't matter if the Ubuntu operating system is corrupted and unusable.
A "clean" install of Windows 10 will format and wipe out the contents of the SSD.

------------------------------------------------

Chzo

It doesn't matter if the Ubuntu operating system is corrupted and unusable.
A "clean" install of Windows 10 will format and wipe out the contents of the SSD.

------------------------------------------------
Ah great, that's one thing I wanted to clarify. So the problem should just be my thumb drive then?

I followed through some of the suggested solutions for a Lenovo system recieving default boot system not found / boot failed message and the last case was replacing the laptop ssd.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I seriously doubt there's a problem with the SSD.
Replacing it is probably a waste of money, and it may be a hassle to replace it.

It's my guess your USB thumb drive isn't properly set up to boot and install Windows 10.
It's also my guess the USB thumb drive isn't set first in the boot order in the BIOS.

The USB thumb drive needs to be able to boot and install Windows 10.
The USB thumb drive also needs to be able to boot during startup.

Chzo

I seriously doubt there's a problem with the SSD.
Replacing it is probably a waste of money, and it may be a hassle to replace it.

It's my guess your USB thumb drive isn't properly set up to boot and install Windows 10.
It's also my guess the USB thumb drive isn't set first in the boot order in the BIOS.

The USB thumb drive needs to be able to boot and install Windows 10.
The USB thumb drive also needs to be able to boot during startup.

Ok, thanks for the information, I will try a different usb. I don't think there is any issue with the bios settings. I've not had any issue with configuring my bios before and regardless of whether or not it's first in the boot order it should show when I am forced to load boot manger, I think the problem lies in detecting it as a boot drive.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Make sure you have a formatted USB thumb drive with a capacity of no less than 8 GB.

Go HERE to download and save the 18.5 MB size Media Creation Tool file.

Close all open windows.

Double-click the saved file to run the tool, then follow the directions from there.

If you do it correctly, you will wind up with a functional Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive.

Chzo

Make sure you have a formatted USB thumb drive with a capacity of no less than 8 GB.

Go HERE to download and save the 18.5 MB size Media Creation Tool file.

Close all open windows.

Double-click the saved file to run the tool, then follow the directions from there.

If you do it correctly, you will wind up with a functional Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive.

Great, thank you for your fast replies, I will post my results tomorrow.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online