OS and windows usb bootable drive not detected

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would offer the following to guide you
You say
And I have two separate usbs I mounted the windows 10 setup ISO on which I have used previously, however neither are detected.
You cannot MOUNT an ISO except from within Windows.
If you simply copy the ISO to the USB, then it will not boot he computer
As my good colleague Flavallee says, you need to make the USB following the instructions on the link he provided.
Using those instructions it makes a USB that is bootable both in UEFI and traditional BIOS - MBR

Additionally a Bootable USB device will NOT see the Ubuntu installation, as Ubuntu or any other named Linux as it cannot read the file system of Linux.

If you have installed Windows 10 - 2004 update, it is quite possible depending on the age of the Lenovo Ideapad that the wireless adapter is unsuitable for that version of 10. This problem has been encountered a number of times.
As far as I can see the laptop MAY have the Intel Wireless LAN driver

These have proved troublesome and my best advice is to buy a USB wireless - suitable for 10, they are cheap and will give you far better performance than the Intel - if I have found the correct laptop

I think yours is this
Yoga 720-13IKB
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/700-series/720s-13ikb-type-81bv/81bv/81bv0034uk/pf0ye1k0/downloads/automatic-driver-update?linkTrack=Caps:Body_SearchProduct&searchType=6&keyWordSearch=PF0YE1K0

The serial number returns the link above, but in typical Lenovo fashion they offer a driver for the wireless which is a multiple driver for
WLAN Driver (Intel, Realtek, Qualcomm)

• c5lw0baf07h4.exe
    CHECKSUM
  • Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Intel3165_19.51.12.3_Intel8265_20.50.3.3_&RTL8821_2023.70.306.2018&NFA435_NFA435A_12.0.0.720
  • 12 Dec 2018

so presumably that series of Ideapad came with either an Intel, Realtek or Qualcomm wireless adapter card.
So there is no way to know which you have until you get back into the system.

Last edited:

Chzo

I would offer the following to guide you
You say

If you simply copy the ISO to the USB, then it will not boot he computer
As my good colleague Flavallee says, you need to make the USB following the instructions on the link he provided.
Using those instructions it makes a USB that is bootable both in UEFI and traditional BIOS - MBR

Additionally a Bootable USB device will NOT see the Ubuntu installation, as Ubuntu or any other named Linux as it cannot read the file system of Linux.

If you have installed Windows 10 - 2004 update, it is quite possible depending on the age of the Lenovo Ideapad that the wireless adapter is unsuitable for that version of 10. This problem has been encountered a number of times.
As far as I can see the laptop MAY have the Intel Wireless LAN driver

These have proved troublesome and my best advice is to buy a USB wireless - suitable for 10, they are cheap and will give you far better performance than the Intel - if I have found the correct laptop

I think yours is this
Yoga 720-13IKB
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/700-series/720s-13ikb-type-81bv/81bv/81bv0034uk/pf0ye1k0/downloads/automatic-driver-update?linkTrack=Caps:Body_SearchProduct&searchType=6&keyWordSearch=PF0YE1K0

The serial number returns the link above, but in typical Lenovo fashion they offer a driver for the wireless which is a multiple driver for

• c5lw0baf07h4.exe
    CHECKSUM
  • Windows 10 (64-bit)
  • Intel3165_19.51.12.3_Intel8265_20.50.3.3_&RTL8821_2023.70.306.2018&NFA435_NFA435A_12.0.0.720
  • 12 Dec 2018

so presumably that series of Ideapad came with either an Intel, Realtek or Qualcomm wireless adapter card.
So there is no way to know which you have until you get back into the system.
Thanks for all the information! I don't think mounting the iso on the usb is the problem as I've done this a lot of times before with no issue. I'll try a different usb however.

In regards to the WiFi problems I found out recently it's actually a university wide problem that coincidentally happened around the 2004 update so I misdiagnosed and it's apparently getting fixed today.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Thanks for all the information! I don't think mounting the iso on the usb is the problem as I've done this a lot of times before with no issue.

I can assure you 100% that what I told you was correct
If you simply copy the ISO to the USB, then it will not boot the computer
Yes you can make the USB by mounting the ISO in Windows and then preparing the USB by deleting all files on the USB with a diskpart clean cmd
converting MBR and then formatting the usb FAT32, assigning a drive letter - also those are done through diskpart and then -select all on the mounted iso and copy to the USB.
However what a very unnecessarily complicated way of doing the job, when you can simply use the Microsoft provided tool that comes with the Media Creation Tool./

Should you receive replies on the Lenovo forum and follow advice there may I kindly ask that you let us know on this site, so that we know whether or not you still require assistance here.
Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In regards to the WiFi problems I found out recently it's actually a university wide problem that coincidentally happened around the 2004 update so I misdiagnosed and it's apparently getting fixed today.
What edition - version of windows 10 is it that is installed
Is it an academic version from the university

Chzo

[/QUOTE

It's the 2004 update, nothing related to the university.

Also I have not been able to find a windows machine to create the usb boot drive. So I instead formatted my usb to FA32 and used my friends chromebook with chrome recovery tool to try and do the necessary steps, it still however is not being recognised anywhere in the bios or boot manager.
It's just the lastest update, 2004.

So I've tried to find someone with a windows pc to help me out, but the next best thing has been a friend with a Chromebook. I formatted my usb to FA32 and used chrome recovery tool to make the bootable USB, however it is still not being detected anywhere in my bios or boot manager??

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
With reference to your earlier comment
Thanks for all the information! I don't think mounting the iso on the usb is the problem as I've done this a lot of times before with no issue. I'll try a different usb however.
and you now say
a friend with a Chromebook. I formatted my usb to FA32 and used chrome recovery tool to make the bootable USB,
I presume you mean - "I`ve done this lots of times before"
BUT NOT on a Chromebook.
I do not go with the idea albeit it says it works, have you renamed the ISO

Chzo

With reference to your earlier comment

and you now say

BUT NOT on a Chromebook.
I do not go with the idea albeit it says it works, have you renamed the ISO
Yep, you're right. Have never done this on a Chromebook before. I just renamed it from a .iso to a .bin and used the chrome recovery app from there. If I change my bios settings from UEFI to bios I only have the option to boot from my laptop's ssd, which is correctly detected but useless at the moment and the usb is not shown. I'm really hoping the chrome recovery tool is the issue as the ssd is still being detected.

I'll have access to a friend's windows computer tomorrow so hopefully I can troubleshoot the issue more and try out the windows media tool.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If I change my bios settings from UEFI to bios
That is quite standard
If what you are trying to boot from, or to see in BIOS firmware is legacy, then it does not show in UEFI firmware as an option
and the converse is true
In many firmware GUI`s set legacy - UEFI - therefore GPT with a FAT boot partition will not be seen
As if firmware is set UEFI - MBR boot devices will not be seen
In other firmwares both are seen

What is shown on one time boot options as against in firmware.

The reason I asked about the edition is that there is now a windows 10 Education 2004

• Windows 10 Home, version 2004
  • Windows 10 Professional, version 2004
  • Windows 10 Education, version 2004
and the ISO made from the normal download of the media creation tool does NOT give the install option of the Education edition, just as it does not give the option of the Enterprise edition or any VLK edition

If the version of 10 was installed under the often used rights of a college or university - by ageement with Microsoft who enable its use by Staff and Studenst, for a fraction of the cost of such 100`s if not 1000`s of installations, of normal editions, then many of these cannot be installed from the usual ISO

NOT that this would stop the USB being bootable.
On some OEM computers, you have to enable boot from such a device, as boot is only available from pre-determined devices allowed by the setup of the laptop firmware

Chzo

See this
https://justworks.ca/blog/creating-a-bootable-windows-10-usb-for-lenovo-systems
please.
As I asked and I am sorry if you have covered it
I take it was made MBR - then UEFI or BIOS
Glad to say I am replying on my laptop now. Frustratingly, but thankfully I think the issue was chrome recovery tool inherently formatting my usb an additional time after I had already done so to a file system that made the drive unrecognisable as a boot drive to my laptop.

After having access to my friend's windows laptop, I just downloaded the iso and rufus and it was smooth sailing from there.

Thank you for the help.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Pleased for you
If it is now solved please mark the topic so, by clicking solved on your opening post
Glad to have helped a little
I thought it may prove that the Chrome tool was to blame as I said
BUT NOT on a Chromebook.
I do not go with the idea albeit it says it works
WELL DONE TO YOU for sorting it out

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online