1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS change and Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sheena#1, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sheena#1

Sheena#1 Thread Starter

My computer's Windows XP OS recently "crashed" so I put in a new hard drive with Windows ME OS. I've installed everything with the replacement hard drive, but for some reason I can't get it to recognize my other hard drives that have information written from the XP OS. The only way I have found to get my old hard drives to work is to reformat them, but that requires deleteing the information on the drives- something I absolutely cannot do. Is there any way I can get these to work with the new OS?
    The 2 extra hard drives are a 160GB Western Digital
    and a 120GB Maxor (formerly my boot-up drive)

Help with this is greatly appreciated!

2. norton850

norton850

If it's just WinMe that doesn"t recognize the drives and your system sees them OK, then probably Win ME is unable to read the NTFS that is on the XP drives. Do you remember if they have NTFS or FAT32?

3. Sheena#1

Sheena#1 Thread Starter

I'm not sure which I have. I didn't format them myself, I just let the software do it automatically when I first installed it.

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

Install Paragon NTFS for Win98 on the WinMe machine, it will let you read the data on the NTFS-formatted XP partitions: http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/f_ntfs.htm

You will need to copy this off and then wipe the XP partitions (and format them to FAT32), as the free demo of Paragon won't let you write to NTFS partitions.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Downgrading from XP to ME :eek:

Probably not the wisest choice. What made you make that decison? ME cannot read NTFS partitions.

6. Sheena#1

Sheena#1 Thread Starter

How do I keep from losing data when I wipe the XP partitions?

Should I just buy that Pargon NTFS software?

7. Sheena#1

Sheena#1 Thread Starter

It was a cheap hard drive and I am short on cash. I didn't realize it would be a problem.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice