1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS change and Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Sheena#1, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sheena#1

Sheena#1 Thread Starter

My computer's Windows XP OS recently "crashed" so I put in a new hard drive with Windows ME OS. I've installed everything with the replacement hard drive, but for some reason I can't get it to recognize my other hard drives that have information written from the XP OS. The only way I have found to get my old hard drives to work is to reformat them, but that requires deleteing the information on the drives- something I absolutely cannot do. Is there any way I can get these to work with the new OS?
    The 2 extra hard drives are a 160GB Western Digital
    and a 120GB Maxor (formerly my boot-up drive)

Help with this is greatly appreciated!

2. harpstringer

harpstringer

since XP is not a DOS based operating system - and for other reasons as well the two systems are not really compatible. In order to read your old hard drives you'll have to clear the operating system drive and install XP home or XP pro in order to read the other drive/s. If anyone else has further or differing ideas - post 'em I won't be offended I might even learn something.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The "other" drives have been formatted using the NTFS file system rather than the Fat32 file system.
    9x/ME and Dos do not have native support for NTFS, so you cannot 'SEE' those drives.
    The long term solution is to Format the drives using Fat32, and the you will be able to access them normally. However, it is possible to install NTFS drivers that will allow you to READ (and only read) the data on those drives. This will allow you to recover any precious data before formatting.
    Do a search on windows ME "ntfs drivers" in Google and it will give you some info.

4. Sheena#1

Sheena#1 Thread Starter

So is there anyway that I can get full access to the files currently on those hard drives without getting XP?

5. DaveBurnett

You just might get away with using a partition manager to convert them to Fat32

6. Sheena#1

Sheena#1 Thread Starter

Can you tell me a good one to use? If I am gonna buy software, I want it to work.

7. DaveBurnett

Paragon Drive Backup and Partition Magic are two that I have used successfully.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327922

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice