OS Clean install no CDROM support

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hal P.

Hi All,

I just fdisked and formatted a hard drive. I now need to do a clean install of Windows Me. But when I put in the startup disk and select CDROM support, it loads some drivers, says CDROM is my E: drive, but when I put in the CD, I hear it try to run, but then DOS says it can't recognize the CDROM or something to that effect. The CD just won't autorun, and I've tried typing install, setup.exe, and anything else I've read about, and same thing.

I tried two different CDROM units and a CDRW, all of which I know are good from another PC.

I went to the BTC website (one CDROM is a BTC 36X) and downloaded the drivers' zip file (using another PC) to a floppy disk, then I extracted them to my PC in a folder, then transferred them to the WinMe startup disk. No change. I then tried copying MSCDEX (I think that's what it's called). I loaded that to a floppy and tried loading that onto formatted hard drive. It gave me msgs about taking it, and changing the autoexec.bat and config.sys, but still no CD support.

Is there a correct procedure to insert additional CDROM drivers onto a formatted hard drive with no OS on it, using the startup disk, that aren't on the startup disk when you create the disk using the OS? Are there commands I should be using? Or is there a way to load drivers without the boot disk?

I was given a suggestion on another forum to make the CDROM the boot drive, with the OS CD in it, and it would begin the install procedure. I haven't tried that yet (I will), but it seems to me that if my PC won't recognize the CDROM using the boot disk, why would it recognize the CDROM WITHOUT the boot disk?
Or am I not getting something here?

Please, no advice about switching OS'. I've got what I've got.

Thanks in advance,
Hal

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Have you tried cleaning the cd itself? Are there scratches on the back? Can you read it from another computer?

Hal P.

Thanks for the welcome,

I'm trying to load WinME. I tried the original CD and a backup cy CD. I also threw in a CD with W2kPro. Same problem. Doesn't seem to be CD media related.

Thanks,
Hal

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you post the exact error message?

I'm assuming the cdrom does appear in the bios settings?

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Have you tried just typing
E:
at the command prompt and then
Dir
To see if you can see the CD ROM directory?
If you can, then try the
setup command from there.

John

Edit

aca.. I wrote this about a hakf hour ago, but forgot to click submit before my shower! :rolleyes:

Are you using the "original" startup disk that came with the (ahem) purchase of your OS?
A generic after the fact startup boot disk that windows asks you to make on installation will not work on a clean hard drive.

You could try getting a program called ez bios on the web.(free)
It has a nifty new install windows setup for a clean hard drive that works great and is simple to use. And a small footprint.

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
A generic after the fact startup boot disk that windows asks you to make on installation will not work on a clean hard drive.
I can't agree with this. I used a generic boot disc on my brand new, never before used HDD when my computer was new last June. Last month I also performed a low level format and again used the same old generic boot floppy successfully. :confused:

Here comes another one! Jeeezzzzz.
BTW when you formatted------- did you use the format C: /s
command?
If you use that i presume you could use your regular startup disk.
:O)
I'm determined this is going to help someone.

IMM

Is that one of those BTC's with a jummper on the back to enable UDMA ? If so, try disabling it.

Hal P.

Hi All,
Still stuck, and I have not had a chance to check out the last few ideas. I will be doing that tonight or tomorrow night.

I really appreciate all the ideas flowing here.

I'll report back.

Thanks,
Hal

Hal P.

Hi All,
Hmm. I thought I had provided another answer post to this but now I don't see it. Oh well.
Anyway, I went back to square one and started totally over: physically R&R CDROM and hard drive, fdisk, reformat, and now it works. It recognizes the CDROM am was able to install WinMe.

Now the problem is, the PC only recognizes 16 colors and large fonts on the monitor. I'll post a new question on that problem.

Thanks for all the help. I've got to assume it was a case of GIGO on my part.

Hal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online