1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS Compatiblity question

Discussion in 'Games' started by lilmeanman, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lilmeanman

lilmeanman Thread Starter

Hello, im thinking about buying a AWESOME tweaked out system from www.yetipc.com and i have a OS question...

I intented to install 4-8 OS's on this computer, mainly:
    windows XP (SP1 baby!)
    windows 2000 pro
    windows 2000 advanced server (or maybe just server)
    windows 98SE
    Linux (And redhat)
    Solaris

Now i know that'll be quite a job to get all those baby's to boot correctly, but it's been a dream of mine for awhile... and with 500GB space, who cares :D

Anyway, i was wondering about Game / Program compatiblity on 2000. Will most programs that run on NT (isn't NT XP?), run on 2000 pro?

I've been wondering about this for awhile. I've seen most programs run on 2000 pro, (it's a awesome fast OS ;)).

If games / most programs run fine with 2000 pro, i think i'll use it as my main OS. And of course, For my shiny new server comp :D

So any know about this?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

2000 is NT 5.0 and XP is NT 5.1. But there is not complete compatibility among these OS's. 2000 and XP are closer relatives than NT and 2000, for example. But with XP's Compatibility Mode, you can run NT apps just like they were on NT. I don't think 2000 has that ability.

Overall, I would say that with that many OS's, you should be able to run just about anything. But I think you'd find XP quite a bit faster than 2000 if all the themes and eye-candy were disabled and it was run with the 2000 GUI.

The biggest problems you'll find with compatibility will be trying to run 9x family apps on NT machines, and vice versa. XP has a 95, 98, 2000, ME, and NT compatibility modes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/302802

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice