OS damaged, trying to get data back

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tbarwic

A friend with XP Pro had the OS go bad. It would only start to load and then say the needed files were damage or missing. I removed the hard drive and read it on another XP machine but could find no data (pictures) anywhere under “Documents and Settings” or anyplace else. So I reinstalled XP Pro to the c:\windows directory and it works fine, but can still find no data.

Is the data being hidden? How can I get it back?

did you look under hidden files at all?
Just a stab in the dark here - it could be that a possible virus changed the extension of all your pictures to be something else.

are you just looking for pictures and were they kept in one folder location?
It could be that that folder is corrupt and the files may be unreadable.

If they were .jpgs, did you do a complete search just for *.jpg, etc..

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, the pictures are probably stored in the Documents and Settings folder. I doubt you'll find them in the Windows folders.

yes. as john said u will not find them in ANY windows folder because the windows folder usually doesnt let anything be added to it unless it is being done by microsoft. Try using the Microsoft search tool. select the destination, and then select pictures. it will search for all pictures on that hard drive.

tbarwic

Searched for pictures. None from camera. Same for *.jpg search. Same for using undelete utility. Unless they are hidden by XP Pro cause that installation was wrecked and i installed it again, it seems there is no picture data.

Any other thoughts?

thanks,

tom

All searching was of whole hard drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online