1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS help

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by roho, Nov 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. roho

roho Thread Starter

I have a mid 2010 mac with a high sierra OS. It contacted a virus that I couldn;t clean, so I installed a HD from another mac I don't use. It has El capitan OS. I want to upgrade this one to at least Sierra. It seens I can't do it because the is not a copy of Sierra in the update page of the App Store. Any ideas?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  3. roho

roho Thread Starter

I did as you said and it downloaded something that too about 8 minutes 16mb it says in the download folder it is installOS .dmg. If I click the installOS.dmg, it install that again. Now what to do. Thanks you.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  4. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

I would have used the Mac builtin software to reset the OS to factory instead of swapping out HDD from another Mac. Not sure it would have the exact same hardware and drivers to go with.

Have a look at this, very informative.......

5. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

Did you click on this: Double-click the downloaded file to open a window showing its contents. Then double-click the file within, named InstallOS.pkg.

6. roho

roho Thread Starter

I did the command+r thing and never got restore. Tried many times. The disk I removed had High Sierra with the virus. Last nigh I put the High Sierra hd back in and got a question mark instead of the apple logo. I don;t unstand that because I know it worked( (with Virus)The one I have not from the other mac works fine but I want it uograded to High Sierra. If the laptop has had High Sierrs before, why can't I upgrade now?
    Yes brooklyn boy, I did that. As I said it started download the same file again.

7. roho

roho Thread Starter

Well,well. I replaces the he back to th a one I have been using with the el capitan. Now it want work either.Shows a blinking Queston mark.As a matter of fact, both hds show a blinking question mark.
    I can not comprehend this.

8. brooklynboy

brooklynboy

A Blinking "?" means it cannot find a OS to boot. Have you tried a Internet install?

9. roho

roho Thread Starter

Don't You have to be able to have OS Utility to do so online?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice