1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS installing problems

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by TROUTER, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TROUTER

TROUTER Thread Starter

Hi folks,greetings from Flanders Belgium
    As I don’t know exactly if it’s a software or hardware problem,I’ve put my post here.
    I need some help and do not hope it is a major problem with my Toshiba Tecra S4 notebook.Due to some eye problems I needed a non-glaring TFT screen and with Vista coming a reasonably speedy CPU,enough Ram and so on.As my options were rather limited in choosing I really had to take the Tecra S4 and hopefully I don't have to regret my choice.
    Specifications: Centrino Duo T7600
    15" SXGA TFT Display 1400x1050
    nVidia Quadro NVS 110M 128 MB
    Win XP Pro SP2
    120 GB Serial ATA-150 5400 rpm Toshiba MK1234GSX
    As I always do with a new PC after installing the progs I need is making an image of the C-partition with Ghost 9 and keep a copy on the 2é partition and a copy on an external HD.Usually after the Microsoft patchday I put the image back,update XP and the antimalware progs,do a good cleaning and defrag and make a new image.In case of some problems after trying out new software,I can always put back a fairly up-to-date image.Last month I did the same thing with the new Toshiba and a couple of days ago after patching day it was time to put back the image.After the usual progress of the Ghost software via the Ghost recovery CD there was no possibility of choosing a primairy partition or C-drive to put the image back.Strange,because this was the first time Ghost 9 did not do the job.To be sure the problem wasn't me,I made a new image with Acronis True Image,saved it on two locations and tried to put it back with the Acronis software but the same thing happened:couldn't find a drive to put it back.The light began to shine for me,that was perhaps the same reason why I couldn't,some weeks ago,do a clean install with an original Win XP SP2 cd.Neighter could I upgrade the Toshiba OEM Win XP SP2 version with an original Vista DVD or do a clean Vista installation. It seems that the software doesn't find a drive to install to.I hope I'am wrong but in my opinion the problems are linked to the possibility of a RAID configuration in the Toshiba S4.Why do they install with the OEM DVD a RAID utility and some RAID drivers?Usually I never mess around with the Bios of a PC because it's all to complicated for me but I was curious this time and opened the Bios and read (haven't got the faintest idea what it means)
    RAID ARRAY

Current State-------Built-in HDD = 1RAID-0 (I dont know if it are O's or zero's)
    Second HDD = No Drive

Create State-------Built-in HDD = 1RAID-0
    Second HDD = No Drive

Level----------Status---------Capacity

LDO----------1RAID-0-------OPTIMAL--------120GB

Drive-------Assign------Status-------Size-------Model-------Rev

Built-in----LDO-0----ONLINE-----120GB---Toshiba----AH001M

Second-----------------No Drive---------------------------------------------

Toshiba MK1234GSX

The Toshiba helpdesk couldn't or wouldn't help me because it has nothing to do with the OEM software from the recovery DVD and after all I could install the software,case closed!
    When asking the Symantec helpdesk about known problems with Ghost 9,I had first to draw my VISA card and the PC shop where I've bought the Toshiba don't want to help for free with software problems.
    So in brief,all I can do with the Tecra S4 is install from the Recovery DVD the Win XP version with all the tools and utilities.Can't put an image back,can't upgrade or do a clean install of Vista or Win XP SP2 from original CD/DVD's but for the rest everything works fine.
    Can anyone give any suggestions of what to do .Many thanks in advance and best wishes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice