1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS not found..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Digits, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Digits

Digits Thread Starter

Operating System not found.. :eek: i think this is worse than the blue screen of death, anyways i rebooted from this point and windows loaded right up and everything was working normally. A few hrs later i come back over to it and find the same screen operating system not found, again i rebooted and this time it came right back to Operating System not found?! I took the hard drive to a local "Computer Medic" and he said the data was still on the drive but a common folder called "Program Files" was missing...? He told me to try reinstalling windows xp, put in the bootable CD goto the setup screen and it said "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system" I'm not shure if the drive is toast or what cause he found some files on it yet i cant access it. Any ideas/thoughts?

I was running 2 drives btw C & D, C: was the OS(which is the one that isnt working) and D: was misc.

2. qldit

qldit

Good Morning Digits, as you are aware the machine POSTs and checks to see what devices are fitted then proceeds to boot.
    For some reason your hard drive is not registering or being identified so naturally you get that message.
    Try another drive power connector.

You will have to read your manual carefully about entering BIOS and checking that the settings for that position are on Auto for it to automatically detect.

If you may have fitted the drive on the wrong plug or have a lead problem it can also cause this problem.
    Try the drive on a cable by itself, preferably the first IDE (if IDE) and on the end of the ribbon cable (with the red cable trace toward the drive power plug)
    Check the drive bridge position (on the back of it) to know if it is master or slave etc., so that you will know which BIOS position to expect to see it on. (when you enter BIOS)

If your machine cannot be made to see the drive it is likely to be "lights-out" I am afraid.
    This symptom infers an electronic failure, usually quite fatal. (Im afraid)
    qldit.

3. Digits

Digits Thread Starter

Evening Qldit, :)

I have tryed all the combinations between power and IDE connectors still the same ol error. The Part that gets me is ive been running these 2 drives without any errors for about 2 years and it just up and bugs out *shrugs* the first drive was on master and the other was on cable select. i tryed changing em around to see if anything happened and nothing. About the manual for the BOIS.. uh i dont have one nor do i know where to get one :(

I tryed a different IDE cable also and there was no change, I also did an auto detect and it read back Disk3 : CD-ROM Disk4: CD-ROM... i seem to remember there being a DISK 1 & 2 ive got the 2nd drive removed and still doesnt find anything.

when it rainz it pourz on meh~

4. qldit

qldit

I suppose raining and pouring on you is better than what I get poured on me!!!LOL!!

With the drive bridging rear connections, they must be set as a master and a slave, or both as cable select, you should not have a master and a CS.
    This would otherwise confuse the controller.

So when these kinds of problems happen just running the drive alone set as master is usually a good way to test, then enter BIOS and see if you can get it to autodetect, some bioses have an Auto IDE detect area where it will step through detections, so it always begins with the Primary Master and if anything is detected it will show in the screen, and you can select Y or N to aaccept, then it will proceed to the next position Primary slave etc. through all four possibilities. When nothing is selected it normally would be clear but still require acceptance. (Your BIOS may be different)
    The selection can then be viewed by returning back to the first BIOS page.

In your case it sounds like it will be fruitless but it is worth trying.

If the drive can possibly be seen in BIOS then the data may be retrieved one way or another, usually!

qldit.

5. Digits

Digits Thread Starter

Ok i put the orignal cable back on hooked it up as labled HDD Drive 0 to the disk blue colored end to mobo, checked the jumper to be in 'master' position. Tapping F10 a start brings me to the bois, and the only option ic is 'Detect Drives and Exit' which is what i did before. It tells me i have 2 CR-Roms and thats it. Ill try hooking back up the 2nd disk with em all to c if it detects it. Ok that didnt do anything either.. so either im doing something really wrong or i dunno :( (master and slave setup this time too)

6. norton850

norton850

Two quotes from qldit:

"If your machine cannot be made to see the drive it is likely to be "lights-out" I am afraid.
    This symptom infers an electronic failure, usually quite fatal. (Im afraid)"

"In your case it sounds like it will be fruitless but it is worth trying."

In other words your HD has died.

7. Digits

Digits Thread Starter

Aww the truth hurts, i also noticed after leaving the system on for about 10 minutes the disk wasnt warming up, and the 2nd disk was warmer as is the drive in this machine.. so i now have a 20G paper weight.. time for an upgrade hehe

I was also curious on how to actually check whats left on the disk like the "Medic" did. he said there was data left on the drive, possible to hook it us as a slave to another system?

thanks for the help qldit & norton850.

8. qldit

qldit

You're welcome, I can't explain why your medic was able to see the drive, unless there was a controller failure on your M/B or the IDE cable you are using is faulty.

Give it one last try on the other functioning IDE with the other cable. (where your cdroms are)
    This will mean you only have one drive fitted for evaluation.

It does seem kind of strange losing two drives at once.

With my luck the drives, the cable and the board would be shot!

There is a really remote possibility that the hard drives could be on the second IDE and it may have been disabled and the CDROMs may have been on IDE 0 but of course that couldn't possibly be! (or could it?)
    qldit.

9. Digits

Digits Thread Starter

Ok i took the ide cable off and tryed it on a different system, it worked fine. Also i didnt lose both drives only the C: (which is the 20gig drive) the D: (which was a 60gig drive) was only used for data storage music/movies etc.. i used my ide cable from the broken system on the working one with the 60gig drive and everything loaded fine, i was able to access all the data.

I then tryed to put the 20gig drive in the place of the 60 on the new system and it gave me no operating system found, even thought the thaT systems hdd worked for everything else i had done. the jumpers were set to master for the OS and slave for the 2nd hdd i also tryed CS for both.

Hopefully what ive said so far isnt to jumbled, but this is where im stuck can 1 bad drive cause the other not to load!? even in slave position?
    -digits

10. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Check the boot sequence, since both the Good OS computer and the bad 20GB technically have OS's installed, if its barely seeing part of the bad one first, before it try the good one, it may be a problem.

11. Digits

Digits Thread Starter

Just wanna make shure before i do anything, boot sequence is in the BOIS correct?

12. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT

Yes it is. And usually the master is HD0 and the slave is HD1. Make sure it doesn't try booting off HD1 at all. I could be compeletly wrong too, but hey! worth a shot.

13. Digits

Digits Thread Starter

Ok got into the BOIS and i really dont know what im looking to change i didnt see anything that stood out then again it took me 20 mins to figure out the DEL key gets me into the BOIS. PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility was the title if that helps anyone point out what im doing.

Oh yea when i hooked both drives up i noticed that it doesnt see either of them in the BIOS it said 'none' for both then i tryed it with just the good drive and it saw it and displayed its size just fine.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

Dell's come with CS defaulted. Are you certain you don't have it jumpered that way and are then using the wrong plug in the ide cable to try it?

15. brite750

brite750

you said in the beginning that a tech told you you were missing a folder, that would imply that the drive is still good, so you may have lost your ide channel on the MB, try plugging your hdd into secondary ide channel the one that your CDROMs are on right now, see if either drive shows up in bios then.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice