1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS not responding but works in safe mode...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rohith_gk, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rohith_gk

rohith_gk Thread Starter

I am using a windows 7 64bit OS and from yesterday its not responding at all. As in aftr entering the username and password it opens and then gets stuck. At times it opens and with in a min its stuck/frozen. and other times its jus a white screen and stays like that. It works very well in safe mode with no problems. I tried scanning in safe mode but nothing was detected. I use Avira antivirus. I even tried system recovery but didnot work. Plz help me. Need my laptop to work normally....

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hello rohith_gk and Welcome to TSG!

It sounds as though there is an application stopping you from accessing your system. Try Performing a Clean Startup Follow the tutorial and let use know if you can access Windows after doing the clean startup.

3. rohith_gk

rohith_gk Thread Starter

i tried doing it.. though it opened it was very slow... when i try to open an application it takes 5-10min to open... overall very slow... and now i don know what happened but the laptop is not working. as in wen the power button is pressed the toshiba logo comes and then laptop is blank. As in nothing. just like its switched off... plz advice me what to do....

4. Lance1

Lance1

When you turn the system on, do any lights come on? Is the hard drive light green or another color?

5. rohith_gk

rohith_gk Thread Starter

when i turn on the laptop the following lights are on: power(white), harddisk/optical/esata(white), wireless(orange)... thats it... do u know what is the problem?

6. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,

You said, you have tried system recovery but it didn't work. Do you mean, it failed to run or it finished but you still have the same problem?

7. rohith_gk

rohith_gk Thread Starter

Yeah i did try the system recovery but wen i logged on after the recovery it displayed a message saying the volume shadow service something like that.... was missing and hence system recovery failed.

8. Lucky09

Lucky09

I'm assuming that was done though the Recovery Partition. Do you happen to have a Recovery Disc?

9. rohith_gk

rohith_gk Thread Starter

No i dont have one.... And i forgot to make one... should i try to get a disc and try that way??

10. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You can NOT make a Recover Partition, it is made by the OEM of the system.

But, yes you should be able to make a Recovery DVD.

Make and model of this machine would help us find out IF this system has a "System Recover" method built in?

11. rohith_gk

rohith_gk Thread Starter

I am sorry. I have less knowledge regarding the recover partition.. and by the way i use a toshiba L650-15G system and part number is PSK1JE-01K00XAR.. Plz do let me know if there is anything i can do to fix my lap...

12. Lucky09

Lucky09

Give it another shot recovering it from the partition. As far as i know, it can be access/run when you hold zero(0) button and press power. Just like when turning the computer on while holding Zero button on the keyboard. When Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility Appear, it is recommended to select Restore Original Factory Image. Just follow the onscreen instruction.
    In case the recovery utility was unable to access, failed, finished but still have problem. I recommend contact Toshiba on how to get a Recovery Disc or if it can be download somewhere.

13. fraganegra

fraganegra

go to windows in safe mode. click on start and search mdsched
    run that and give it a go

14. rohith_gk

rohith_gk Thread Starter

well the thing is i cant go in safe mode.. the harddisk is not working properly... cannot read data from it....

15. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

If you can't even get into safe mode then you do have a real problem. I'm confused though, you said it booted up to the log in screen earlier(?)

If you use the recovery partition and proceed with a complete reinstall it will wipe everything on your drive. If your recovery partition lets you just reinstall windows and keep your files then that will less bad though it will still be annoying.

Before you do any of that, boot into the BIOS (F2 or DEL immediately when you switch the computer on) and check the drive is set to IDE mode rather than ACPI. Also unplug any USB drives and/or CD/DVD's that may be in the computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!