1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS on Partition with < 50% Free space

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 325isbimmer, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 325isbimmer

325isbimmer Thread Starter

I have 3 partitions on my Laptop 40GB HDD. These were freshly created and reloaded about a month and half ago:

C: OS -10GB
    D: Program Files -10GB
    E: My Documents -20GB

in the OS section there is only about 2.2GB free space. OS is XP Pro and about 3.0GB but then theres also programs which seem to work better when in the OS partition as opposed to the Program Files partition. They're consuming the rest of the space.

I've read that XP slows down when it has less than 50% free space. I'd like to know how true this is.
    I've also read that having the OS separate from the Programs has few advantages because if you need to reinstall OS programs won't work. I understand this. I'd like to take the space I have on E: drive and put it into C: drive to make it larger or possibly just merge the C: and D: drives. Although just merging these two would still yield around a 50% free space situation.

What are some of your thoughts? What might you do?

I've tried using Acronis Partitioning Trial Software that hasn't worked for me because of the limitations of the Trial Version. Same with Partition Magic 8. I'm afraid to try the Ranish Partition Manager because its DOS based and I'm not familiar or comfortable with that. I also can't justify to pay for the full version of the previously mentioned Programs. Can you please recommend something?

2. 325isbimmer

anyone?

3. 325isbimmer

bump...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to repartition, and if you're not willing to pay the $30 for the real application, you're stuck with the free stuff.

I'd CERTAINLY do a full backup before you undertake this mission. ;)

5. bbearren

bbearren

6. 325isbimmer

I've been under some confusing of the whole backup/restore/image thing
    Is setting a system restore point a sufficient for performing the partitioning or do I need to do I full back-up with the likes of True Image or Norton Ghost. Which brings me to the part of confusion...don't I need a seperate partition to store that on. (and those programs also cost $$...student budget, books and CAD programs cost enough already) So, Any recommended free Back-up software?

7. bbearren

bbearren

A Restore Point is not a full system backup. An image file is my preferred method of backup. BootItNG is also an imaging tool, and will burn directly to CD's or DVD's.

BootItNG will run from a single floppy. It doesn't necessarily have to be installed on your computer.

And the 30-day free trial is fully functional.

8. 325isbimmer

Thank you for the link to BootIT NG. worked for me to resize the partitions by taking 10 GB off the E: and giving 5 GB to C: OS and 5 GB to D: Program Files.

Although I'm still just under 50% free space @ 47%.
    Just how close to that suggested free space does XP start to suffer?

9. bbearren

bbearren

I have one setup on a 10GB partition with less than 2GB free and it runs fine, no slowdowns or hangups.

10. 325isbimmer

Then I would presume that the <50% is just a silly Myth. it didn't sound right to me either but what do i know.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice