OS Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I am going to hunt you down and Slap you if you pay for a Linux Distribution on eBay. There are plenty of free Linux Operating Systems that you can download off of the Internet.

I suggest starting with Mepis or Ubuntu.

If you are interested in a Linux distribution, try Ubuntu. You can download a Live CD you can use to see if Ubuntu is something you would like. The Live CD runs on your computer without having to be installed and doesn't change anything on your present OS. You can check it out here. Ubuntu Starter Guide. The lastest release: Ubuntu 5.10

astrodaddy

I am going to hunt you down and Slap you if you pay for a Linux Distribution on eBay

YIKES!!!!!! OKOKOK I WONT !!!! I PROMISE!!!!

LOL Thanks for the save!

And Augie65, im going to head on over and check it out.

Thanks again!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
That guy who is Auctioning off that Linux is also auctioning off alot of Stuff that is freely available on the Internet. He also has one Illegal Auction. He is auctioning off Gmail accounts which is against Google's Terms of Service.

Squashman said:
I am going to hunt you down and Slap you if you pay for a Linux Distribution on eBay. There are plenty of free Linux Operating Systems that you can download off of the Internet.

I suggest starting with Mepis or Ubuntu.
There is nothing wrong with paying a minimal fee for professionally made, bootable disk.

For those on dial-up, and others who do not choose to download large files
and go through the burning procedure.

Have a peep at Distrowatch's main page sometime.

astrodaddy

If you are interested in a Linux distribution, try Ubuntu. You can download a Live CD you can use to see if Ubuntu is something you would like. The Live CD runs on your computer without having to be installed and doesn't change anything on your present OS. You can check it out here. Ubuntu Starter Guide. The lastest release: Ubuntu 5.10
Thanks Augie, I just ordered the 5 disk set for free! No S+H or anything!

Yeah, Ubuntu definitely is the most user-friendly. You will come to enjoy it.
But I hope you have prior Linux knowledge. Even if you don't, the official Ubuntu forums are extremely good for help.
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

astrodaddy

Ummm, I was just at their forums and it sounds rather difficult to set-up/run.

I dont have any experience with Linux at all, should I still give it a try?

Go to this site and follow the screen shots ( click on the panels below the main screen) and it will guide you to run the Live CD. It really isn't that difficult to run. You will have a GUI simular to what you are use to seeing. If you don't like it, there is nothing to uninstall. Just shutdown and remove the CD and when you reboot, you will go back to your present OS. The file system is very simular to a Mac, if you have ever used an Apple.

I think Ubuntu ships a LiveCD as part of their promotion.

Run with that for a week or so.

No harm, no foul.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
prunejuice said:
There is nothing wrong with paying a minimal fee for professionally made, bootable disk.

For those on dial-up, and others who do not choose to download large files
and go through the burning procedure.

Have a peep at Distrowatch's main page sometime.
The NT Password Reset disk that he is selling can fit on a floppy. I think people on DialUp can download that. I sent an email to the maker of that utility to see if he allows others to distribute his software in that manner. Hope I get a response back.

Let me get this straight, you can run Ubuntu from a CD as a trial and it will not effect any of your registry settings or cause any other problems? Anyone on here ever done this and decided to keep their OS? Was there any change in your system performance? Can you open/edit files that were Windoze without problems?

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
coachdan32 said:
Let me get this straight, you can run Ubuntu from a CD as a trial and it will not effect any of your registry settings or cause any other problems? Anyone on here ever done this and decided to keep their OS? Was there any change in your system performance? Can you open/edit files that were Windoze without problems?
It is a live CD so it just boots from the Cd and runs the OS from memory. If it has NTFS support builtin to the Operating System you could read the files on your NTFS partition. I am not sure about write support. Most live CD's that I know of don't have the Captive NTFS driver built in.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts