1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

os system wont boot up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by vickie535, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vickie535

vickie535 Thread Starter

I have a old windows 98 system. Its a emachine. I cant even get it to load windows. What happens is i cut it on.... it checks for the boot records..then flashes barley to the windows 98 load up then back to a screen with 5 choices. None of these choices will work. I cant even get the Cd that come with my computer to help with this matter. The clock starts a count down.....says i have so many seconds to make a choice or will choose 1 for me. If i enter any choice.... it automaticly just starts the command prompt. Have I lost the OS system in my computer? Help me please.

Thanks Vickie

2. rugrat

rugrat

Do you have a boot floppy? If not download the win98se version at
    www.bootdisk.com
    Put a formatted floppy in the drive and double click the file you downloaded. This will make a boot floppy. Place the boot floppy in the problem machine and boot with it. At the command prompt type "FDISK /MBR" without the quotes. This will recreate the master boot record. Shut down, remove the floppy and reboot.

Let us know

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It sounds like your computer can boot, which would indicate a good master boot record.

But it does sound like Windows is corrupted. Since you can boot, boot to a command prompt. Then see if the source files are in the \windows\options\cabs or \windows\options\cab directory. Sometimes vendors leave them there.

If you find them, then run setup and reinstall Windows on top of the current version.

4. 1069

If you have the original win98 installation disk you should be able to reinstall Windows over the top of your original without losing any files - I have done this 2 or 3 times now with no problems. Install the CD and let it boot from there.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice