os system wont boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vickie535

I have a old windows 98 system. Its a emachine. I cant even get it to load windows. What happens is i cut it on.... it checks for the boot records..then flashes barley to the windows 98 load up then back to a screen with 5 choices. None of these choices will work. I cant even get the Cd that come with my computer to help with this matter. The clock starts a count down.....says i have so many seconds to make a choice or will choose 1 for me. If i enter any choice.... it automaticly just starts the command prompt. Have I lost the OS system in my computer? Help me please.

Thanks Vickie

Do you have a boot floppy? If not download the win98se version at
www.bootdisk.com
Put a formatted floppy in the drive and double click the file you downloaded. This will make a boot floppy. Place the boot floppy in the problem machine and boot with it. At the command prompt type "FDISK /MBR" without the quotes. This will recreate the master boot record. Shut down, remove the floppy and reboot.

Let us know

It sounds like your computer can boot, which would indicate a good master boot record.

But it does sound like Windows is corrupted. Since you can boot, boot to a command prompt. Then see if the source files are in the \windows\options\cabs or \windows\options\cab directory. Sometimes vendors leave them there.

If you find them, then run setup and reinstall Windows on top of the current version.

If you have the original win98 installation disk you should be able to reinstall Windows over the top of your original without losing any files - I have done this 2 or 3 times now with no problems. Install the CD and let it boot from there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online