1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS will not install!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lehatche, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

This is one of strangest problems I have encountered. I have a Dell Optiplex 170L that would not boot, It appeared that either HDD was bad or OS was damaged. I checked the HDD with a manufactures disk and it appeared to be ok. I then attempted to reinstall the OS (XP Home) with the Dell OS disk. After the format, it starts loading files at the Soundrec file it stops with error. I have tried several windows OS versions of XP (just to see if I could get past this point) I have tried Ubuntu nothing works. I have ,used memtest on memory for 24hrs. no errors. I have switched out IDE cables , HDD's,Tried other CD/DVD units, switched PSU all to no avail. Can anyone give me an idea of what the problem might be.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would take it down to minimum config - motherboard/psu/harddrive/cpu/memory and see if that works at all

Ubuntu would not load - what happens ?

try downloading ultimate boot cd - and creating a boot cd
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/
    and run some of those tests

3. geek117

geek117

Have you considered using a different sound card? Or rather, do you have a dedicated sound card installed? If so, try removing it. If not, try installing one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice