OS won't load

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tigron

I've got a laptop that was having some problems so a system restore was done with the CD's from HP. Now when I boot the machine it goes to a blank page. OS is Win XP. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Reset the defaults in the BIOS, maybe. It could be the BIOS is still set to look for the CDROM first, then maybe a NIC or something, etc.

tigron

The bios is set correctly. I get the initial XP screen but then all goes black and only the mouse is showing/moving.

tigron

no matter what option I pick on the safe mode screen I still get to a black screen with a moving mouse. I've tried a quickboot disk with no success. Will running the setup disk resolve the issue ?

tigron

After backing out of the Recovery Console due to thinking FIXMBR and FIXBOOT would render the existing data unretrievable, I am now presented with a checking file system page that runs CHKDSK and then displays "an unspecified error occured". Can anyone guide me to the force ?

tigron

A missing piece - This all started after attempting to upgrade to SP2.

tigron

Looks like viewers like to see you write to yourself in this forum. Issue resolved. OS re-installed even if I didn't want to.

tigron

After reinstalling the OS (into a new folder) I'm able to boot up. Does anyone know how I can get the programs and docs to appear as they should ? All files and folders are accessible from previously working install but there are no installed programs and trying to open them produces a message to reinstall that program. Is there anyway around this ?

tigron

Does anyone know if Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will help resolve this issue ?

You now have two instances of XP installed . . not the best situation . . now that you can access the data, suggest you do a backup of your data and perform a clean install to get to a stable operating system.

Once you have your data backed up, perform a clean install usng one of these guides:

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

immediately upgrade to SP2, then install motherboard drivers and programs.

Good luck . .

edited to take out the reference to Files and Settings transfer . . since you have two operating systems, that will probably not work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online