Solved OS X Install - Item is unavailable, Try again later

Burjo

Hey Mac Tech's.
Firstly, Im a long time intermediate Windows user with little knowledge on the Mac systems. so any help and clear direction would be great.

Back story- I recently purchase a secondhand 2007/8 Mac PC that was running El Capitan OS X, for my wife as she is about to start Uni again.
My first instinct was a fresh install, to clear any old stuff from the previous user. I don't have any OS Disks, So with a bit of googling and went ahead with the process.
I was able to clear the main HD (Macintosh HD) and everything was good until i went to re-install.

The Issue: When trying to reinstall the El Capitan OS X though the OS X Utilities. I am getting a 'This item is temporarily unavailable, try again later' message, after signing in with my apple ID (which i had from ipads).

What i have tried:
1. Change the date through Terminal to 2016. - Failed
2. Get help online and log into iCloud on the Mac, then go back and try to install. - Failed

On another note - all attempts to use internet boot install (CMD, Option, R) have failed. i think this may be due to using a wireless keyboard and it not syncing until after the Mac has 3/4 loaded.
I also do not have access to any other Mac system.

Any help or guidance would be great.

Burjo

Hey Mac Tech's.
Firstly, Im a long time intermediate Windows user with little knowledge on the Mac systems. so any help and clear direction would be great.

Back story- I recently purchase a secondhand 2007/8 Mac PC that was running El Capitan OS X, for my wife as she is about to start Uni again.
My first instinct was a fresh install, to clear any old stuff from the previous user. I don't have any OS Disks, So with a bit of googling and went ahead with the process.
I was able to clear the main HD (Macintosh HD) and everything was good until i went to re-install.

The Issue: When trying to reinstall the El Capitan OS X though the OS X Utilities. I am getting a 'This item is temporarily unavailable, try again later' message, after signing in with my apple ID (which i had from ipads).

What i have tried:
1. Change the date through Terminal to 2016. - Failed
2. Get help online and log into iCloud on the Mac, then go back and try to install. - Failed

On another note - all attempts to use internet boot install (CMD, Option, R) have failed. i think this may be due to using a wireless keyboard and it not syncing until after the Mac has 3/4 loaded.
I also do not have access to any other Mac system.

Any help or guidance would be great.

Burjo
First, was the machine completely erased by the previous owner? Deleting or even erasing the HD will not unregister the machine from a previous owner.Second, you have a Apple ID. Have you ever logged on to a MAC with your Apple ID. Here's a issue; you say you've used your Apple ID with a iPad. iPads/iPhones use the ios system. MACS use the OS. Your Apple ID will have a record of every app/program you have ever dl'd from Apple. If you have used El Captan or even an earlier version, it will be logged onto your account.

With that said, it doesn't sound like you are getting a "?" when you boot so there is a OS installed. I'm not sure if your MAC can do an internet install.

Try booting into Recovery Mode and run a disk Utility and see what comes back.

Burjo

First, was the machine completely erased by the previous owner? Deleting or even erasing the HD will not unregister the machine from a previous owner.Second, you have a Apple ID. Have you ever logged on to a MAC with your Apple ID. Here's a issue; you say you've used your Apple ID with a iPad. iPads/iPhones use the ios system. MACS use the OS. Your Apple ID will have a record of every app/program you have ever dl'd from Apple. If you have used El Captan or even an earlier version, it will be logged onto your account.

With that said, it doesn't sound like you are getting a "?" when you boot so there is a OS installed. I'm not sure if your MAC can do an internet install.

Try booting into Recovery Mode and run a disk Utility and see what comes back.
G'day mate, that's for the reply.
The owner only logged out of his apps and deleted his account after creating a generic Admin account for me.
I deleted the HD using the disk utility thing.
Anyway, I got my hands on a boot disk and was able to install the OS X today.
So I'll Mark it solved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online