1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OS9 Installation CD Woes

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by deovolenti, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deovolenti

deovolenti Thread Starter

I just scored an iMac from a friend. It has a bunch of crap on it, and so I'd like to reinstall OS9 and start from scratch. I was provided with a CD that I -can- read on my PC but -cannot- read on the Mac. It contains a .dmg file that I'm told is the OS9 operating system. How can I make my Mac recognize the CD?

2. tedwinder

tedwinder

A Mac CD that only works on a PC! Are you sure that it's an original disc?

3. macdudenj

macdudenj

The dmg file is only recognizable in OSX. You would have to open the file on an OSX machine to get to the install file. Then copy it to a USB jump drive. Put the file on your OS9 machine and it will install the OS for you.

4. deovolenti

Not 100% sure... but it's not home-recorded, it's factory-pressed!
    That makes sense, i'll give it a go when I get home tonight. Thanks!

5. macdudenj

macdudenj

By the way, you can also burn the install file to CD on the OSX machine and then place it in the OS9 machine.

6. deovolenti

So, since the disc is only readable on my PC, I stuck it in there and copied the DMG to my flashdrive. I then stuck the drive in the Mac. Now I'm trying to double-click the DMG file, but the Mac doesn't know what program to open it with.

I'm sorry, I'm new to the Mac interface.
    Unfortunately, I don't have access to an OSX machine!

7. macdudenj

macdudenj

As I stated earlier, the dmg file is only recognizable in OSX. If you can gain access to an OSX machine, load it on and double-click to get to the install file. When you see the install file, it can be copied to a jump drive or cd. Afterward, load it onto your OS9 machine. Unfortunately, the person who "copied" OS9 for that machine did it in OSX. Another option is ebay to purchase OS9 disks. I would love to help you out with the disks, but mine are machine specific. See if you can get originals off the seller.

8. emoxley

emoxley

I don't understand why Apple would put OS 9, on a disc that can only be read on an OSX machine. :eek:
    It's got to be a copy. Maybe put on a printable disc, so it looks like a factory disc? It doesn't make sense that Apple would do that.........

9. macdudenj

macdudenj

Apple would not do that. This person, "the seller" or someone else made a copy of the system disk while in the OSX environment. When you do that it will create a dmg file which is only recognizable in OSX. OSX is a completely different operating software based on Unix.

10. emoxley

emoxley

I understand....................... but he said it's not home-recorded, it's factory-pressed!
    I was basically backing up what you had said. :)

11. VegasACF

VegasACF

Just because a CD is not burnt at home doesn't mean it's a legitimate CD from the manufacturer. It's "factory-pressed", but by what "factory"?

12. macdudenj

macdudenj

Exactly! VegasACF suggests the obvious. Apple would not produce a system disk in a software environment for which the end user would not be able to open it. I have seen software from cnet.com that people think is for OS9 and they suddenly find themselves looking at a dmg file which it cannot open. This is the reason I replied to this thread.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!