1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Other choices<>HELP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SOFwhitewolf, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SOFwhitewolf

SOFwhitewolf Thread Starter

Alright well i had my system all sorted out at around $1600...http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4973167, anyway i got alot less then i was expecting on my tax return, so turns out i can only spend around 1200-1300. I need to find whats is the best alternitive for what i have chosen already. I would like to still have 2Gig mem and and intel board if possible, If anyone has built a core 2 duo system with this limited funds please tell. Thanks

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

That link didn't work. You can copy the individual links or make your wish list public...

Now you're looking to build a gaming machine, right?

3. SOFwhitewolf

Yes, and now it should work

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

So are you looking at the 975x chipset Intel so that you can go to SLI later on? Or are you going with that board because it's such a nice board? or...?

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

Here are a couple of suggestions to save you a few bucks right away.

If you can forego SLI, the ASUS P5B is an excellent motherboard. The P5B deluxe is $180.00, and if you don't need built in WiFi and Dual Lan, look at the standard P5B, which is only $130.00.

The processor. The E6600 is the perfect CPU right now. However, I have two machines that have the E6300, which is only $ 190.00, and they are performance monsters. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the E6300.

I'd stick with the RAM you've got, although if you aren't overclocking, you can save a few bucks and get DDR2 667.

Any of this with an 8800GTX is still going to rip games to pieces. You'll be outfitted for DX10 already, and there is nothing bad about these selections.

If you need links, let me know...

6. SOFwhitewolf

ok well i was going with the 975x just because its a nice board, i could care less about sli, im also not concerned with overclocking, thats another reason why i went with intel, i also decided to go with a xfx 7900GS ddr3 pci-E saves quit abit and i can also upgrade later, i was looking at this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121053 but it says some mumbo jumbo about only being able to use 1.8voltage memory at 555 or 666 speed, and i cant find any at that rate....

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

9. SOFwhitewolf

See with that asus board and this intel board there is alot of talk about not haveing very good sort of compatible memory, iw ould like to stay with the xms 800 but it runs a higher voltage then it says it can use

10. SOFwhitewolf

11. win2kpro

win2kpro

It looks like everything should work. The only thing I would suggest is to get this board, rather than the one you chose;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121052

It's the same board, but a retail version not OEM and the price is only $2 more than OEM. If you had a board failure at some future time, it is much easier to RMA a retail board to Intel than an OEM board.

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

The 965 is an excellent board--excellent chipset.

The RAM issue is that DDR2 800 has to be certain timings. Right now, 5-5-5-12 timings seem to work the best. I'd suggest going to Intel's website and look at the tested memory list just to be safe. Follow the link on Newegg's site.

You got yourself a NICE machine there! You'll be happy with it.

Now you had said earlier that you had an optical drive...? Is that right?

13. SOFwhitewolf

yes i have a lite-on dvd burner and lite-on cd-rw drive, i know most prefur newegg around here but when i order things from tigerdirect i get them almost the next day with basic shipping and i have had no doa items form them so far, so how does this look..http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/wishlist/wishlist.asp

14. telegramsam

telegramsam

It's empty...

You buy where you want to buy. I don't buy there because of the problems people have with RMA's and stuff, but if you feel comfortable with it, go for it.

15. SOFwhitewolf

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice