1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

other device detected in device manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apoorvasheth, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. apoorvasheth

apoorvasheth Thread Starter

I have recently installed Windows98se. Now in Device Manager listing, Under Other device, it showed an Unknown device listed with a yellow exclamation on it. So, I remove that device and restarted my pc. After that on startup, it showed that this wizard will search for drivers for this Unknown device. But I could not find the drivers for this device. So I selected : Display list of devices.

In that I selected Other devices. On clicking next, it showed an Unknown device in the left and Unsupported device in the right box.

I clicked on the Cancel button. Please help...

Apoorva.

2. pvc9

pvc9

Apoorva,
    Have you added any new hardware to your current system recently? Said you recently installed Win 98SE. What was the earlier OS? Did you've any similar problems with that too?

Generally Win98SE just places the devices that it cannot detect correctly or rather for which the drivers aren't installed properly into the Other Devices section of the Device Manager. If your computer is working fine even if the device is not detected then it wont be a problem anyway.

So just check if you've changed the hardware configuration recently...:)

3. apoorvasheth

I have not install any new hardware. And this is a clean install. I had formatted the Hard disk and installed Windows98se.

Please help...
    Apoorva.

4. pvc9

pvc9

Apoorva,
    If you've not changed the h/w then its fine. Is the system running without any errors or problems? If its so then there is no need to worry as I too had a device listed under Unknown list but had no problems of any sort. So are you having any particular problem while running the computer?

5. apoorvasheth

Well, their is no problem but on that Unknown Device, their is a yellow exclamation mark.
    How can I solve that out?

Please help...
    Apoorva.

6. Emtronics

Emtronics

While things may seem to run OK, Windows still thinks there is a piece of hardware that has not been set up correctly. In the Device manager, look under all the +'s and see if your sound card, modem, video adapters, and anything else your computer has in it is listed there. Something is being pick up by Windows. It could be a network card that you don't use. (because you use a dialup) Usually, when things all seem to work, and there is still an "unknown device" listed, then it's an onbaord (on the motherboard) or PCI network card that doesn't have the drivers loaded. Since you haven't complained about having no sound or your video seems to be working and you are online, that is the device I would look for first. Unknown devices listed in the Device Manager are not normal and should be investigated and corrected.

7. apoorvasheth

Thanks for the reply. I am connected to the net through Lan card(Realtek RTL8139/810X Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. And the driver for this device has been installed. So that unknown device not the lan card.

Any other solution???

Apoorva.

8. Emtronics

Emtronics

Do you have a modem? There has to be a piece of hardware that windows isn't setting up correctly. I use the LAN as an example. I have seen this when, for example, installing a sound card and not disabling the on-board sound on the motherboard. Windows detects 2 sound cards and after installing the drivers for the PCI sound card, it'll list the on-board sound as an "other device" in the Device Manager. So, it is probably something like that. What operating O/S did you have before this clean install? In the Device Manager, is all your hardware listed correctly? Sound, Modem, Video? etc etc?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/90722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice