1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Other devices problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graderguy48, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. graderguy48

graderguy48 Thread Starter

I am not on the computer with the problelm because it won't go online. The unit is running winxp home 2002 version with sp2. amd athlon 64x2 dual 4200+ processor 2.20Ghz with 2gb ram. I installed a used hdd, samsung 38194 mb. Windows boots quickly but is not running correctly.
    When I go to system-device manager, it shows under "other devices" a list consisting of: Other PCI bridge device, PCI device, SM bus controller, video controller (vga compatible). All the listed devices are showing the yellow question mark, and when I right click it says the driver needs updating, but since I can't get online I can't let it search for a driver. I have a hardwire ethernet connection to the computer but it doesn't recognize it. Says there is no connection to the internet. Also under "non plug and play drivers" the word "serial" has a yellow exclamation mark. I do have internet connection on this computer (the one I'm on now). Any thoughts?

2. C141

C141

Some questions. Did the HDD you installed already have windows on it? If so & you did not do a fresh install of windows on it [recommended] it is currently set up for the computer it came out of. Not likely the same comp as you have. You should download the drivers you need for your specific brand & model comp in advance of a fresh windows install & save them to a flash drive. And if you did install windows, you'll still need to download the drivers. Be sure to update to SP3.

3. graderguy48

graderguy48 Thread Starter

I guess it's a moot point now. I went out and got the drivers for the unit that was down, and when I tried to insert the flashdrive, windows crashed and I can't get it back up and running. What fun!!

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try tapping F8 to get the 'Windows Advanced Options Menu' screen, it may boot into Safe Mode (the top option, click 'Yes' if a window appears) and you might be able to install at least some of those drivers in Device Manager.

So did the HDD already have XP on it from another PC ? Do you have an XP install CD ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice