1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Other Operating Systems

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by robj423, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robj423

robj423 Thread Starter

Are there operating systems that can be used off of a disk drive? In other words, an operating system that I will not have to install on my laptop of desktop?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Knoppix is a fantastic OS designed from scratch (though based ultimately on Debian) to run off a CD or DVD. But it can be installed to a USB drive and then have "persistence", meaning that it will remember changes you make and new programs that you install.

On a DVD, it is read-only and everything starts over from the same place each boot. The DVD has over 9 GB's of software on it (compressed), programs and games for everything you are likely to be able to think of. It has loads of tools for working on Windows, too.

www.knopper.net/knoppix

4. robj423

robj423 Thread Starter

I'm not sure yet. I saw one work but I have yet to dive into this type of system. I know it saves hard disk space and RAM but that is all I know. Any suggestions on what this type of system could be used for?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    all i use it for is testing a PC or if possible copying data off on pcs that wont start or have issues before re-installing windows

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

One of my old teachers from college creates a read only linux distribution on a usb stick when he goes to defcon and the black hat conferences. pretty much something you have to do when attending an event like that.

7. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

You can do your web browsing and online banking more securely than a Windows machine, where malware are a dime a dozen.

There are many programs that are similar in function to Windows programs - such as the Office suite called Open Office (which is also available for Windows). Linux generally has a number of addictive and lively games, and there are distros that are game oriented.

Have a play and try all the various distros - be aware each one can use different Windows Managers and look quite different, even if they all share a web browser like Firefox, and most modern Linux distros are good at detecting hardware.

If you boot from a cdrom/dvd then I think you'd need to input your wireless password every time you booted up, but if you install linux to a USB key then all your settings that you change will be preserved, as was already mentioned.

8. SpoonLicker

SpoonLicker Banned

You can check out my buddy Mike Berlios' self-made x86 OS from scratch on any Intel x86 microarchitecture, though it's not much, it's a great accomplishment for a hobbyist:

http://mikeos.berlios.de/#downloads

PS: You can boot as an emulated floppy drive off a CD, from a VM as well, but I think I can stress the differences out with other optical mediums, USB, etc.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088035

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice