1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oulook 2002 Contact/Address Book probs

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by caminator, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

I have a problem. I have some contacts in outlook 2003, and then also different "contacts" when I go to tools and open up the Address Book. Is there a way I can move those entries from the address book to the CONTACT folder in outlook? I have my computer showing hidden files and folders, and did a search for *.pab and *.oab. It does not come back with anything found. Does anyone know what the file is that opens up when you go to tools/address book at the top of outlook?

It's funny because I can't find any address books in my computer, but one opens up in outlook and has contacts in there. I just realized this, but I have never manually placed contacts in there myself.

I REALLY need help on this issue. I know it's probably just a matter of importing it into outlook, but I need to find the file to import before that happens, and so far, it appears my computer doesnt have a pab, oab, or even when I do a search for "address book", it finds one file with a .wab extension, and when I open it, it appears to be an address book, but there are no entries in it. So it is obviously not the same file that opens up from within outlook.
    If anyone needs any other information, let me know and I will supply you with this. I desperatly need help on this issue!!!

2. Miz

Miz

The two address book file formats are .pab and .wab (not .oab).

Outlook keeps all of its data in one file called outlook.pst.

When you open the Find window to run a search, first go to Tool>Folder Options>View tab and check "Show hidden files and folders," click OK. Now it should be able to find a .pab or .wab file.

Once found, use the Import/Export feature in Outlook to import the data.

3. caminator

caminator Thread Starter

I am doing a search with it showing hidden files and folders. I do a search for *.wab and *.pab. It doesn't find a pab, but does find a wab. When I open the wab file, it opens up what looks like an address book, but there are no entries of people inside it, so that doesn't appear to be the one that open from within outlook. Any other ideas? This is a strange problem!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!