1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

out of memory line....

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ivorytusk01, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ivorytusk01

ivorytusk01 Thread Starter

keep getting the box popping up on programs that I run all the time. I have rebooted, cleared disk space, defragged. out of memory line 408 (or other no's) still keep coming.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.70GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 247 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 33909 MB, Free - 14747 MB; D: Total - 4236 MB, Free - 630 MB;
    Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD, Gamila/Giovani/Neon series, 030, 4410596944
    Antivirus: None

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

See if THIS applies.

3. ivorytusk01

It is happening with only 1 program open. In your 1st e-mail to me you said that I needed more free space. What could be taking up space? Plus, I suppose I'm a computer illiterate because I don't even understand what the 4236mb total is. Sorry, but I need to know how to free up more space.

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

With only 247 MB of RAM, you'll always be experiencing such issues. XP needs at least 512 MB and even 1 GB for proper operation. Your computer must be slow as a snail. You'll need to add more RAM.

Please click HERE to download and install HijackThis.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile from the Main Menu.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

IMPORTANT: Do not fix anything

5. ivorytusk01

Thank you but that doesn't explain why this is the 1st time I've had these problems. I'm talking about having only Comcast homepage up and not even being able to receive videos from there. Logically, it would seem more likely that one of my memory sticks has gone bad. no?

6. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

HijackThis would certainly help us diagnose your problem.

However, with 247 MB of RAM, no matter how many times you change your RAM stick, it's still a meagre 247 MB. Surely not enough for XP.

7. itsjusme

itsjusme

The more programs/updates/devices you add , the more memory it takes to run them. It`s sorta like "The Straw that broke the camels back". With only 247mb , eventually you`ll get to a point where the memory load is too high for anything but small programs that use little memory to run.
    Press : CTRL>ALT>DEL to bring up task manager, select : PERFORMANCE, look at PHYSICAL MEMORY> TOTAL and AVAILABLE. What does it say?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice