1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Out of memory/system resources

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Penny, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Penny

Penny Thread Starter

My computer is 3 yrs old; uses Windows 98 w/Word, Excel, Outlook/PowerPoint 97. Suddenly ALL MS programs give same message....out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again. BUT there is nothing open other than the desktop. I've booted and rebooted, scanned disk and defraged, but nothing works. I can receive e-mail, I just can't read it! Can't print, can't create new documents. The problem doesn't affect games, PageMaker, Internet Explorer, etc.HELP!

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Have you checked your system resources to see what is in actual use? Also, try running MSCONFIG to see what it shows. Many times you don't think you have anything running, but by hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE you can actually see everything that is there.:)

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Penny
    Welcome to TSG!
    EB is correct in saying you may have allot more running in background then you realize. Lets see if we can work through it and get your system back in order.

First we need to know how much hard drive space you do have left.
    Go to start\run and type in msinfo32 and hit enter. Once there the plus sign on components then the plus sign on storage.
    What appears in the right pane is the information we need on your hard drive "C". Tell me the size value is and the free space value is.

Now while still in msinfo32 screen lets get the startup items so I can have a look at what you have running in background. After you have recorded the "c" drive size info you can close the branches by clicking the minus signs now.
    Now click on the software enviroment plus sign and then click the startup progams item that will appear below. After a bunch of items appear in right pane click the edit button up top and click select all, then edit again and this time click copy.
    Once copied close the msinfo screen and come back here and paste the results to a reply in this thread.

From that information we can determine what you will need to do to get your computer back to speed.

Awaiting your response and information.
    Dave

4. Penny

Penny Thread Starter

Davey....thanks for your help but just more problems. Available space on C is 860 MB of 4094 MB (FA32), but when I try to look at Components the message I get is " Cannot display info. The component which displays this info is not functioning properly or is not present on the machine." Now what?

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

Penny
    Well for now lets run blind and see if we can free up some hard disk space and resources.
    CLEAN HOUSE:
    1) Go to start\find and type in *.tmp (no space between Asterick and period) hit enter. A bunch of files with the .tmp file extension will appear in the right pane. Click edit up top, then select all, then delete.
    2) Go to Windows explorer and navigate to the C:\windows\Temp folder. Anything in there prior to today Delete.
    3) Go to Internet explorer and click the tools then internet options. Once there under the temporary files area click the delete button and then select all offline content.
    4) While still there click the delete history tab lower down, then after that set your history to 1 day.
    5) Restart in safemode, Keep tapping the F8 key while restart is occuring and arrow to safemode when screen appears, and hit enter. Once in safemode do the next two steps which may take awhile.
    6) Got to system tools and run through scandisk with the fix automatically selected. After completion....
    7) Run a defrag without the organize files to start faster option.
    8) After completion if it will let you do the scandisk and defrag then do below.

Restart system to normal mode.

Now back to The msinfo32 program. Lets try again since you were able to retrieve the hard drive using it.
    1) Go to Start\run and type in msinfo32 and hit enter
    2) Once there click on the plus sign in front of Software Enviroment and once that expands click to highlight startup programs. Select edit up top then select all then copy.

Note: see attached image for view.

If for some reason you still cannot get that information then lets
    1) Go and download "start-log" from http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html
    If you do not have a zip program on your computer then at bottom of page is an unzipped version available.
    2) Once done doubleclick the icon startup log.
    3) This will create a text file on your desktop.
    4) Open the startup log text file and copy all its contents and paste back here for us to see.

SCAN For Viruses- Just to make sure Go to this website an run a free online scan to check for viruses. If any appear let housecalls help and make note at what they are so we can know.
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Well enough to start with. Awaiting your response.
    Dave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice