1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Out of Range error! and frozen screen

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by pwitchesden, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pwitchesden

pwitchesden Thread Starter

I have broadband on my own company computer and with my daughters help (she's a member of here too) decided to set it up on my wife's computer too sharing the modem as and when. There are no wires connecting the computers.

It worked fine with the usual teething problems. We then downloaded the microsoft Critical errors that were needed and then restarted the computer. It gets so far then freezes, my daughter has been unable to close any of the start up programmes, and the computer responds to nothing at all. Con, Alt, Del is ignored, eventually bringing up, system busy and system unstable errors. Then she got a white screen that read "Out Of Range" in a red banner with yellow print which neither of us have ever heard of before. She has noticed that there is an icon on desktop taskbar that is MSDOS and seems to say Match? or similar since half the word is missing. That is not normal.

We have no idea where to go from now! Help please! the system will restart when switched off using the button but merely loads so far to freeze on the opening desktop screen. The last time when restarting it to see if it might work it started up, it partly loaded up to desktop then brought up a fatal error screen without my touching anything.

It is running Windows 98se, was built about 2000 and has all the system requirements for broadband which did work. I can't think of anything you might need to know. What can we do to get my wifes computer running again and what is an Out of range error screen?

Help please?! Many thanks :)

2. norton850

norton850

Boot up in safe mode and lower the refresh rate on your monitor. This should get rid of the out of range message, but may not solve all of your problems. One thing at a time.

3. pwitchesden

Dear Tech Support Guy,

Thanks for the thread response from norton850. Unfortunately I have only just been able to try the suggestion but to no avail. I cannot find the screen that gives me the option to start in safe mode. I have seen this screen in the past on another computer so expected to recognise it, but the boot up goes straight into Scandisk after the background shows.

However did manage to go see more of the DOS icon in the task bar it says "DOS Matchli" before it is overwritten by other icons.

I do also now have some doubt if this is Windows 98SE as it does not say SE on boot up.

Please advise how I can get to safe mode.

Thanks

pwitchesden

4. pwitchesden

Sorry, I should have said "after the Windows 98 screen shows but before the background appears".

Cheers

pwitchesden:confused:

5. 1069

Hi,

to get into Safe Mode constantly tap f8 on bootup - you will be presented with the Startup options - one of which is Safe Mode

6. pwitchesden

Thanks for the guidance, now I have the computer running in safe mode what do I do next?

The "Out of Range error" did only come up once in the many attempts at booting up in the normal way only to get the frozen screen and the DOS box in the Task Bar.

What next please

Thanks

pwitchesden

7. norton850

norton850

By using the press F8 method, get to the screen where you chose Safe Mode and instead choose Command prompt.
    Type scanreg /restore (note space after scanreg) and press enter. Choose a restore date prior to the start of the problems.

8. pwitchesden

Thanks for latest advice. Have progressed(??). Before the latest post from Norton 850 I was trying the previous suggestion to boot up in safe mode then to reduce the refresh rate on my monitor.

Probably did the wrong thing but located "advanced settings" in Display Properties and in Graphics Hardware adjusted "hardware accelleration" to about half - then nothing worked and then up to about 3/4 (mouse problem speed) and the start up in safe mode also froze at the same place as with the original fault.

Next tried latest suggestion to use Command Prompt, typed in scanreg /restore, selected date 12/28/05 ie before problems started and at first boot up Zone alarm came up with illegal operation, the DOS box appeared with "Matcli" (note no "h" in previously mentioned details) and another box with Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library heading.

This said
    "runtime error - program c:\program file\bt broadband\Help\Bin\mad.exe - abnormal program terminated"

Booted up again and the same box Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library appeared again and no DOS box nor Zone Alarm warning and Computer seems to be operating normally now. But have tried Broadband but this would not connect.

Do I now need to reload Broadband disc into the computer and also should I download the Microsoft patches etc that may have been the cause of this problem?

All this started when I attempted to get my wife's computer Broadband operable. She hadn't used it for months!

Await advice.

9. pwitchesden

Thanks for help, Have now got Broadband running on my Wife's computer.

The DOS box still appears as does the "Broadband Help running error" but the computer & internet both work apparently without the Broadband Help

Can this be corrected?

cheers

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!