1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Out of range message

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by highhoney34, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. highhoney34

highhoney34 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I need some help with this one. A friend has an older windows nt 98 it ususally runs great she has lots of memory and disc space but tonight the resolution all of a sudden went distorted like it does when u go into safe mode so we fixed that and now all we get is an Out of range message ion the screen the os starts up normally and u can hear the windows start up music but then the Out of range thing pops up and we can't do anything . Is there anything we can do besides getting a new comp lol. I have tried to restart several times but the same thing happens I'm sure it has to do with the graphics but not exactly sure what any help would be sooooo great!!! thanks in advance!!!:confused: :confused:

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

This indicates that the refresh rate or resolution (or both, but usually the refresh rate) being sent to her monitor is "out of range" for which the monitor can display.

It sounds like it is an LCD monitor?

You may just have to start in safe mode, set the refresh rate to 60 Hz and reboot.

3. highhoney34

Ok thanks I will try this but how can i start it in safe mode if i can't even get to the start button? Her monitor is an lcd. The out of range message comes on the screen and I can't access anything.

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    There is no such operating system as "Windows nt 98".

If the computer is running Windows 98, hold down the Control key during power up to get the startup menu and then choose Safe Mode.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180902/

I am not familiar with "Windows NT" to even know if it has a safe mode.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

As above, Safe Mode is activated dring the power-up process, bot after Windows has loaded.

Safe Mode is unchanged in all Windows versions, so irrespective of "nt 98" (which I assume is Windows 98) it will still work.

I usually tap F8 twice a second from a power-up until the menu is displayed, then select "Safe Mode"

6. highhoney34

OK thanks all for ur input I will try these suggestions!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice