1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Out of Range - Monitor message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mop, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mop

mop Thread Starter

I have Windows XP Home Edition with a HP72 monitor.

When starting up, I often ( not always) get a black screen with a blue square in the middle of the screen saying "Out of Range - H:27.8khz V: 61.9hz.

How can I fix

P.S. I am not a computer expert!!!

2. SB305

SB305

Well, HP ought to know what it's talking about. This is what I found on a Spanish language HP support website re a "sync out of range" message on the HP72 17" color monitor :
    "To avoid the message, lower the resolution or vertical frequency of the video card. Reboot the system and use the VGA mode to force the video card driver to lower its resolution.
    Follow these steps. Shut down and restart the system. For consumer systems such as HP Pavilion desktop PCs, push the Power button once. For commercial systems such as HP business desktop PCs, hold down the Power button for five seconds. Immediately after seeing the HP/Compaq logo screen, press F8 at system startup to initiate the bootup menu. Scroll down to highlight Enable VGA Mode, and press ENTER. After Microsoft Windows completes its bootup process, access the Display Properties and select a desired resolution, which is compatible to the connected monitor."

In the real world, this is a common problem when, for instance, you replace a monitor with a smaller one and forget to lower the the resolution settings to what the smaller monitor can handle before you make the switch.

However, in your case, the problem presents intermittently and may indicate a hardware failure of some sort rather than just incorrect resolution or frequency settings.
    The usual native setting for a standard 17" LCD screen is 1280 x 1024 pixels.
    Check what yours is set to and, in the manual, what is the maximum resolution and frequency it is capable of.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the message goes away during the boot process, ignore it.

Until the Windows drivers kick in, the message is possible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice