1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Out of Range

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Marik, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marik

Marik Thread Starter

Hi -
    New here a friend sent me this site. Looks pretty good.
    Hoping someone can help with this problem-
    I don't know much about monitors and the colors changed so I was trying to fix it and just kept clicking different resolution-
    then I got a black screen with OUT OF RANGE
    I can't fix it with a black screen
    Advice very much appreciated
    Thanks!!!
    Marik

2. ddriver

ddriver

I assume you booted back up again and it's still there?

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Try booting up in safe mode (push the F8 key several times as the computer is booting) and lower the display resolution there. Then reboot and see if its better in normal windows mode.

4. Marik

Marik Thread Starter

hi both of you and thanks for replying.
    Yes I did reboot. That didn't work. I'm going to try the safe mode. I'll let you know if it works in case someone else has the same problem.
    Marik

5. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

What version of windows do you have?

Did you try scanreg /restore?

6. Marik

Marik Thread Starter

hi again.
    Well thanks so much the safe mode worked. Took awhile. Just because I couldn't get the setting right and had to keep rebooting.
    Not sure how it got mixed up to begin with.
    Someone must have messed with it. Is there anyway it could change by iteself? the settings are okay now but, not as good as before.
    I'm not going to try to change it til I have some energy to figure it out.
    Anyway,
    thanks again!!

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What are your current settings? Also check the refresh rate which will be listed under the adapter or monitor tab and let us know what that says. And does the settings page tell your Monitor name and model number?

Booting to a command prompt and entering scanreg /restore (as suggested) may allow you to return to a configuration before the problem existed. You have about 4 days backups that can be restored. If you have WinME this can be run from start> run. It is not available in Win95

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice