Out of sheer desperation... [UT2004 + Others]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JohnnyUK

Out of sheer desperation, I'm sat outside, wirelessly networked, on my laptop at 2:50AM. It's freezing. Why the hell am I out here? To once and for all set the seal that it is NOT overheating which is causing bad performance on my laptop. Now, I need help. This is driving me insane to the point that I'm probably about to start foaming at the mouth and chewing the furniture.

First off, the basics.
Specs:
Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz
1024MB (2x512MB) RAM. 512 added by me after purchase.
ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB
Radeon Omega Drivers 2.6.25a (Catalyst 5.4)
80GB HDD

Now that's out of the way, the problem:
Initially, this laptop was outstanding. It worked a charm - this is like 3 weeks ago. All games, 60fpss godlyness. Now, I noticed a large slide in the performance of the laptop (interestingly about the same time I got the RAM upgrade, or sometime after at least). I have tried testing with various RAM chips removed and switching RAM slots etc. No avail. Tried every combination. I thought that perhaps the pre-installed steaming turd OS could be a problem so I formatted and started from scratch. Needless to say, some problems with SP2 resulted in me formatting again. I uninstalled SP2 after kinda stupidly giving it the benefit of the doubt once more but managed to avoid too large a screwup this time. Needless to say, I now avoid it.

Anyhow, the bottom line is that gaming on this laptop is fine for the first 10 or so minutes - hell, you can get a single (and I mean single) round of UT2004 in at about 40 average FPS at 1400x900 resolution and 'Holy ****' settings, but after that - dear god, we're talking single digit FPS. I've just ruled out temperature, I think, so I tried for rebooting and playing straight away - but to no avail. So.. playing in an environment that could cool down molten rock doesn't improve performance yet performance deteriorates over a small length of time - and rebooting doesn't solve it. Now, if ANYONE has any idea what the hell is wrong here, you will earn my eternal gratitude.

At least think of the Furniture.

Just being cold out side, doesn't mean your processor is cool...
Just a guess, could your CPU fan be dirty, or going out?

A 3 Ghz chip will generate all kinds of heat.. even if the out side temp is cool...
Or, maybe the graphic card is getting hot, does it have a fan?

With all you tried, my guess is heat. ..... Or, heaven forbid a hard drive issue..
Even the graphics card could have a problem..

Not so sure this is game related... Wait a while and if no good suggestions, then have it moved to "Hardware"..

JohnnyUK

Sorry, I put the topic in Games because.. well, this problem only effects games =P

I've considered purchasing an external fan mat with two fans powered by USB to go on the underside (where it still gets.. insanely hot) - good idea?

That I don't know, but it does seem like a heat issue... I'd start by checking all the fans..
You said it worked before, maybe you accidentally bumped a wire, and a fan no longer works right..

Just check and double check the fans.. Are they blowing the right way, are they clean, and so on..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online