1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Out of Storage

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sjr1938, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

I have a small HP laptop that I love, but Win 10 takes up all the room on the hard drive. I have a Sim card and lots of thumb drives where I save all my files, but can't seem to get enough storage to prevent crashes, flickering pages, constant error messages, etc.

Does anyone know what I might do?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Model of this laptop may help?
    What is the disk size and how much RAM do you have?

3. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

I am busy right now, Dave, but will get this info for you as soon as I can

4. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

OK I've got it now:
    HP Stream Notebook PC11
    Local disk: 28.6 GB Free Space: 285 MB
    RAM: 2.00 G B

Gasp! Yep, that's it.

5. Lanctus

Lanctus

Part of your issue is that you only have 2 GB of RAM. Your system uses RAM (memory stick) for many functions, and bad, missing, or not enough RAM will cause problems. Experiencing a "slow down" on your laptop the longer it's being used, programs constantly crashing, odd error messages, and even file corruption can all be symptoms of bad RAM or not enough to support your work load. If you are able, I would highly recommend testing your RAM, and getting higher capacity. Standard RAM in today's laptops usually hovers around 8 GB.

Second I would look at your hard drive, because you have next to no space left to run on it. Flash drives and such are fine for extraneous files and back ups, but your computer requires it to have enough on it to run basic system functions. The more you put on this laptop without upgrading at least the RAM, the faster you are going to degrade and eventually kill it.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    For what I can find on this "HP Stream Notebook PC11" it is more les the bottom of the line and there is NOT much one can do to upgrade it hardware wise.

None of the HP sites have said anything about being able to add more RAM or a larger drive.

I would, not waste any more monies on this and look into in getting a more powerful laptop.

7. sjr1938

sjr1938 Thread Starter

Thank you, Dave, and thank you Lanctus. I was afraid of that. Unfortunately I don't have the income to buy a new PC with more memory. Don't suppose I could find one that's within my price range. Again, thank you both for trying to help.

8. Lanctus

Lanctus

Of course, sjr1938. I'm sorry that it's not the easiest thing to hear, but if you know anyone who is tech-savvy, you could have a computer built for you (possibly cheaper). I would recommend looking online (at actual tech merchandise sites) for deals. Box stores like to overcharge. Good luck!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1207515

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice