Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outdoor range of Wireless Router eg. (Linksys router wt54..) or anyother with 108

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
Hi al u guys

i have a simple question reguarding the range of any cheap $50 to $150 max wireless router when place outdoor... actualy i am thinking of making my own network of friends living in a single street of about 100 meters apart from my house at max... for multiplayer gaming and file sharing etc etc... as my house is in the center and its quite high amoung other houses i decided to place router outside on my roof at height... may be inline of sight of other house(provided i will take care of climate conditions) ..... and as for clients i dont want any instrument installed at client except wlans... at max i will make an extention for clients to place there antenas outdoors

now tell me wether this is practically possible or not under very limited budget.

tell me if i am unclear about some thing....

thanks in advance

#3 ·
First off, you'd need an exterior hi-gain antenna, probably an omni-directional model if you have more than one direction to service. If the people want the antennas indoors, you need line of sight to their house, then they can use a directional hi-gain interior antenna.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

#4 ·
Hi
Thanks for the details but i m still stuck in the same question. first of all i haven't got any of the instruments yet. i am doing some home work before shopping... the question is...

if i buy a router 54/108mb + 2.4ghz (extended range) of any brand. and i have a simple 108wlan card installed in one machine... both place outdoors having no roof on them and only a few obstacles like boundray walls or roof sheds etc etc... how much range at max(in meters) do i get using no extra signal bosters and antinas..??

i have to cover 100-150 meter raduis in a situation explained obove.... and the clients are willing to place antinas outside though there window or on there roofs.... (provided i will make the extention between there lancards and there 2dbi antina to be placed out side in open air)

this can be an exception that with access point i will use any omni directional antina(but i dont like to ... vLimited budget) outdoor but i cant afford this on client side thats why i am trying to make use of the same 2dbi antina that comes with w-lancard using some extention cable.

is it possible to get signals in this limited range outdoors without buying 23-50$ boster antinas etc...

#5 ·
A few obstacles? To go 100 meters with anything but direct LOS, you're dreaming using the standard antennas. Also, extending the antenna leads more than a meter or two will SERIOUSLY degrade the signal strength, signal you don't have to begin with.

You're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear here. I'm telling you what will work reliably, and you want to spend no money and use what you have and "force" it to work. You also can't put interior antennas outside if you want them to work past the first rain, they're simply not designed for exterior use. Exterior equipment is totally sealed against the elements, which is why it costs more.

Good luck, I predict failure if you continue down that path..

#6 ·
thanks johnwill
i got the idea what u r saying... according u i must increase my budget simply and go for the big things for exterior use .... i am going for the purchase soon to buy some wlan cards and router with omni.diretional antina+boster 15dbi for router only... as far as wlans... i will try them as is untill i fail... then there is no choice other than buying new antenas for wlans to be used outdoors...

just do tell me that can i get 100 meters with direct line of sight between client and AP...
as far as money is consurned .... as i told u i m doing this just for sake of some fun.... playing games or sharing files. between friends... etc.. no productive work will be done at all.... and thats why i want to spent as less as i can...

#7 ·
Unless you've changed the parameters, you don't have direct LOS between the locations. Direct LOS means you can put your eye where your antenna will be and CLEARLY see the location of the remote antenna.

Here's a couple of inexpensive exterior 2.4ghz antennas, make sure you specify the reverse-SMA connector for the cable. Note that's in the "special order" section and jumps the price for the antenna quite a bit, but they're still cheap for external antennas. These would have no issues doing the distance with direct LOS and MAYBE some minor obstructions, though that's highly variable, and I wouldn't swear they'll work in that case.

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2414d.php

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hg2415g.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.