1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outgoing Email appearing as spam

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bronagh, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bronagh

bronagh Thread Starter

Hi,

I use microsoft outlook express 2003 for work. Since the 5th Jan emails sent by me using this account have been appearing as spam in my recipients inboxes or are being filtered out.

This is a new problem. I have been sending email to these addresses with no problems for over 2 years.

I sent a microsoft outlook test message and it appeared fine, with no spam header.

Is it a problem with my work email address?

Thanks,

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

Yes, it is possible that your mail server could have made it onto one or more email Realtime Black Lists (RBL) for one reason or another.

If you are using some type of shared hosting service for your e-mail accounts, it is possible that another domain name using that same server was sending spam and the IP address of the server was blacklisted, affecting all accounts on the server (been there several times).

You can check the status of your server's domain name and IP address on several RBLs at the same time at this web site:

http://www.anti-abuse.org/multi-rbl-check/

3. bronagh

bronagh Thread Starter

Hi Chuck,

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

I checked my IP address via the link you senT, and yes, it would appear that it's on 6 RBL's.

I guess the next question is, how do I fix this? Do I need to take it up with my ISP?

Thanks again,

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the the rejected e-mails are for an account on a mail server maintained by your ISP, then they would be the ones to contact about the problem.

If your are only using your ISP to connect to a mail server operated by some third party, then you would need to contact the third party about the problem.

5. bronagh

bronagh Thread Starter

Thanks so much for this.

Am in contact with mail server provider to try and resolve.

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome and good luck.

There may be ways to work around the problem if a third party mail server provider gets black listed again due to spamming activity of another company's account on the same server. Check to see if your ISP allows you to use their mail server to send e-mails from sender addresses that are not hosted on that server (A hypothetical example would be a mail server with a URL of smtp.myisp.net accepting e-mails being sent by someone with an address of [email protected]). The routing of the e-mail would not be obvious to the recipient unless they looked at the full header of the message.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975193

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice