Outlook 2000 attachments change file types

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

torin

Hi

Trying to send a file test.prn (a Discus LE / Verity systems cd print image format) to someone using Outlook 2000. Everytime I do this though the receiver gets it as a .dat file or a .tmp file (although tested it outlook 2003 to receive it seems to work fine!).

Anyone any ideas how to force Outlook 2000 to just send it in the same file format & filename I attached it as?

Thanks everyone

Torin

First Name
Anne
Torin:

Create a new message in Outlook.
From the toolbar, hit Format.
What is selected?

Does the receiver have the same program you saved the file as?

If they do get them to check the file associations, if they don't have the program they won't be able to read it.

Ziggy

torin

Hi

Thanks for the responses - the receiver does have the same program as I do - Discus LE / Truenet (it's cd duplication software from Verity Systems) and the receiver does have the file associations as it's Verity I'm trying to send it to. I have found a quick solution of zipping the files but I'd still like to know why Outlook 2K changes the unzipped files when receiving while Outlook 2K3 is fine...

In addition the format of the message is set to HTML.

Thanks again
Torin

The only thing I can think of is the recipient has the outlook security patch installed, this will strip suspicious e-mail attachments.

Although your file type is not listed with the types that the security will block, Zipping the files as you did is what I do to get around this when I try to send .exe files etc....

Try updating Outlook to SP3

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#attsec

Ziggy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online