1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2000 attachments change file types

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by torin, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. torin

torin Thread Starter

Hi

Trying to send a file test.prn (a Discus LE / Verity systems cd print image format) to someone using Outlook 2000. Everytime I do this though the receiver gets it as a .dat file or a .tmp file (although tested it outlook 2003 to receive it seems to work fine!).

Anyone any ideas how to force Outlook 2000 to just send it in the same file format & filename I attached it as?

Thanks everyone

Torin

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Torin:

Create a new message in Outlook.
    From the toolbar, hit Format.
    What is selected?

3. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

Does the receiver have the same program you saved the file as?

If they do get them to check the file associations, if they don't have the program they won't be able to read it.

Ziggy

4. torin

torin Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the responses - the receiver does have the same program as I do - Discus LE / Truenet (it's cd duplication software from Verity Systems) and the receiver does have the file associations as it's Verity I'm trying to send it to. I have found a quick solution of zipping the files but I'd still like to know why Outlook 2K changes the unzipped files when receiving while Outlook 2K3 is fine...

In addition the format of the message is set to HTML.

Thanks again
    Torin

5. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

The only thing I can think of is the recipient has the outlook security patch installed, this will strip suspicious e-mail attachments.

Although your file type is not listed with the types that the security will block, Zipping the files as you did is what I do to get around this when I try to send .exe files etc....

Try updating Outlook to SP3

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm#attsec

Ziggy

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice