Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outlook 2000 changing default storage

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  vivienne 
#1 ·
Hi

Is it possible to change the default storage location for Outlook 2000? I would like the pst files to be on a different partition. I can do this with Outlook Express but cannot find similar instructions for Outlook.

Thanks!!!!

Vivienne

#2 ·
Start with Outlook 2K open and click on View | Folder List.

For each "Personal Folders" in the list, right click on the folder name and select properties. Then click on the Advanced button and note the filename and pathname. (On the one that starts with Outlook Today - put a special mark so that you can re-establish where you have your mail delivered.)

Click on OK to return to the main Outlook window.

For each "Personal Folders" in the list that does not start with
Outlook Today, right click on the folder and select "Close Personal Folders".

Click on File | Exit and Logoff.

For each file noted in the second step, move the file(s) to the new location.

Start Outlook 2000.

Outlook should present you with an error that it is unable to
locate the PST file. Click on OK to get a standard file open dialog box and locate the file that we moved in the second step. (If you had more than one, use the one that was identified to the Outlook Today page.)

Click on Open.

Another dialog should popup explaining the default store location
has changed and offer to rebuild the Outlook Bar. Answer "Yes" to have Outlook rebuild the bar.

You should be looking at the main Outlook window with a single
folder tree starting with Outlook Today.

If you had more than one file noted from the second step, click on File | Open | Open Personal Folder File to open the additional file. (Repeat for each branch.)

You might want to double check you rules via Rules Wizard since
moving files around have a tendency to break the rules.

#4 ·
Putasolution:

I am having a horrible time tyring to do this.
Originally posted by putasolution:
Start with Outlook 2K open and click on View | Folder List.

For each "Personal Folders" in the list, right click on the folder name and select properties. Then click on the Advanced button and note the filename and pathname.
I am stuck right here at the beginning!!! There is no advanced button on the individual files. Only on Outlook Today!! *And* I can't find the pst files in the folder it says it's in. In fact I did a search and can't find *any* pst files!!!

I feel *so* stupid!! What am I doing wrong???

Thanks for your help!!

Vivienne

#6 ·
kiwiguy:
Originally posted by kiwiguy:
Enable the viewing of system files and hidden files, or you will not find them.
I did and still couldn't find it. It was because the 'search' was not looking for hidden files. I have found it now by enabling the search for hidden files in advanced options.

Thanks for pointing this out!!

Does Outlook.pst hold *all* the mail folders?

Vivienne

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.