Outlook 2000 not sending large mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

windrider

I'm fairly new to XP, having installed the Pro upgrade about 2 weeks ago from 98SE.

Last night I attempted to send email to my boss using outlook 2000. I included an excel attachment. When I sent my mail, outlook successfully sent a short email to my brother, than hung up on the mail to my boss - giving me the following:

"the TCP/IP connection was unexpectedly terminated by the server" my account info, and then: "Error 0x800ccc0f"

To make this short: I can send short emails (less than about 200 charectors), but I cannot send long emails (such as wordy reports) or emails with attachments (I've tried excel, jpgs, txt, etc).

All was running fine as of last Weds. The one thing I think could have altered the system environment is the installation of IIS last weekend. I've look to see if something there would be limiting the size of an email message, but can find nothing.

I have two PC's connected to a DSL modem via a linksys router. However the other PC, running 98SE, has no email problems.

I uninstalled and then reinstalled outlook and ran MS upgrade wizard to bring it to date. I also played with the time out settings, and breaking messages into blocks - to no avail.

I also checked on Microsoft - I did find a few articles addressing the above error, but none specifically related to my problem. I also checked with my ISP who saw no problems with my accounts or sub-accounts.

Any suggestions?

Bill

Have you got Nortons AV software running, and is it scanning outgoing e-mail?

If yes, disable scanning of outgoing mail.

windrider

No, I don't. The only antivirus I have is Mcafee - and it is installed on the other PC, not the one giving me the problems.

windrider

Okay, it seems that I've found the cause of the problem: the Sygate personal firewall I was running.

I hadn't considered this program as I had had it running before and after I'd upgraded to XP and had not had trouble sending email. I was looking at software I'd installed between the last time I was able to successfully send email and then had begun to have problems. But having been unable to find the problem in IIS or ASP.NET Web Matrix, I began to systematically stop other programs that were running. When I stopped Sygate, I was able to send email with no problems. Start it, the problem resurfaced.

I haven't resolved why the firewall suddenly caused the email problem as I haven't bothered to look into it. But I thought I'd mention the resolution to this.

Thanks, folks.

Bill

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online