1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2000 on Windows 7 - Opens but won't send or recieve mail

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by seemeflyhi, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seemeflyhi

seemeflyhi Thread Starter

I have a TOSHIBA A505 laptop about a month old, with Windows 7. I didn't want to be bothered with the whole "buy me after 30 days" bit, so the promo MS Office was uninstalled and I installed my perfectly fine, legal MS Office 2000 that was purchased while in college.

I paid $20 to Yahoo so I could use Outlook and d/l my mail when I went to a wifi place and read offline at home later. It worked about 2 times.

Then it would send but wouldn't recieve mail.

Now, every time I open Outlook, it does the Outlook 2000 Startup Wizard thing. It says another version of Outlook was installed previously, and asks if I used a previous version to open mail, because it can use the same configurations as that version. I have chosen both yes, and no, it doesn't make a difference, it always just goes to the next window.

The next window says Email Service Options and gives the choice of Internet Mail, Corporate or Workgroup, or No Internet Mail. I have tried both of the first settings, and it still doesn't matter...

It opens the inbox etc. ok, but then if I push Send/Recieve the little delivery window pops up for maybe a second, but immediatly disappears. For a few times at first, it would at least deliver my mail, but it has never sent it. Now it won't do either, just has the window open for a second.

So I though my configuration might be bad. I have put in the Yahoo settings and used default on the numbers (ports) and also the ones Yahoo said to use. I do the SSL and authentication as directed. I have put in my username and password.. everything I can think of.

Side Note that may be important: I previously used to use CCleaner to clean up my files, and never had any problems with things after running it. But one day I discovered a tool from Windows that came on my computer called Disk Cleanup, so I used that instead. Seems like my trouble began after that. Did it delete a registry or dll file or something?

My goals are: A) to get Outlook to quit asking to run the setup wizard EVERY time I open it and B) to get it to actually send and recieve my email.

If anyone could help, or if you need more info, let me know.

Thank you so much!

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi seemeflyhi

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

I have removed your e-mail address from your post. All help is to be kept on the forums. Not to mention reducing the potential spam you may receive from posting your e-mail address, on the Internet.

Have you tried using, in Outlook 2000, Help > Detect and Repair
    You may need to insert the Office 2000 disk to complete the process.

3. seemeflyhi

seemeflyhi Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I did the repair with the disk. I even uninstalled and reinstalled. It's like it reinstalls with the same wrong settings or something.

One thing is different now. The little window that says deliviering and getting mail stays open longer and makes me think it is actually doing it, but when the window goes away, nothing has happened.

Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice