1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2000/Outlook Express: Attachment Size Limits

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jauxier, May 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jauxier

jauxier Thread Starter

I am having problems sending a zipped attachment from either outlook 2000 or outlook express. It is a large zip file 470MB. I haven't been able to find anywhere that says it is too big. I get to where you attach the file and then my system hangs. I have given it several hours to finish the process and nothing... it just sits there. I have no mouse control CTRL-ALT-DEL wont even work. To shutdown I have to physically power down. I restart and everything is fine I just can't send this attachment. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

jauxier
    Outlook tom my knowledge can handle very large files for transfer however your ISP has placed limits on size of file for transfer. Every ISP is different and you may have to contact them for max size. Your only other option is to break up the transmission into smaller packets. You can do this yourself if you wish or have outlook do it for you.

3. jauxier

jauxier Thread Starter

thanks I'll check on that with my ISP

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't know of any ISP that will allow you to transfer files of that size. Perhaps we can help reduce the size of the file itself? What kind of file is it? Have you already used Winzip to compress it?

5. jauxier

jauxier Thread Starter

Yeah I have zipped the file with Winzip. My ISP will only allow 1MB to be sent at least that is what they told me. I find it hard to believe though I have emailed some pretty large music files.(probably over 1meg easy) If you know how to further compress the file let me know thanks.

6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I probably can, but I need to know what kind of file it is.

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Gracious sakes!

Burn it to a CD and snail mail it instead. ;)

Even if the file was pure text and you used WinRar to zip the file, it would still be at least 235MB. ISP's limit between 1 and 5MB.

Sending the file by e-mail just is not going to happen.

It sounds like you are trying to send out an operating system, LOL.

Have you considered FreeDrive? You can upload files instead of routing them through your ISP. You are then only limited to the amount of freespace you have available on your FreeDrive.

I believe Dreamboat has a FreeDrive account, she can tell you more about that option.

8. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    1. Freedrive now costs money. Ya believe it? Sucks. Not only that, but I could only get up to 110MB out of them when it was free. I think 500MB would cost a significant sum of money.
    2. If it's an Access database, for instance, repairing and compacting may fix it.
    3. Other files just shouldn't be that large, so there's something wrong.
    4. If it's a program file, don't bother. It won't work.

I still say we need to know what kind of file before we can even think about it further.

Jauxier, if it's something you don't want to say "out loud", feel free to email me in confidence. Maybe we can get a handle on it.

9. jauxier

jauxier Thread Starter

Well its not anything that has to be kept quiet. ok here is the scoop. I am currently running 98SE and with shutdown problems as well as various other stuff I am upgrading to W2k Pro. Before I wipe my drive so I can repartion it NTFS I wanted to save all of my favorites, settings and the big part is all of my napster music files. I went through saved all of this stuff into a new folder nice and neat so that it would be easy to put back after I had 2000 up and running. Then I zipped it with Winzip 8.0 that did alot but it is still to big. Now I don't have a burner or tape drive or anything and I am broke so I want to find someway free. To save all of the data off of my drive, on the internet in an email acct(that's what I was going to do originally) it doesn't matter. So that's the story. Last night I tried breaking it up that's just too many little folders and files. Ideas welcome I will check out freedrive I haven't heard of it before.

10. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  11. downwitchyobadself

downwitchyobadself

Sound files. Still such a pain. You're not going to get around this. Even if you break it up into smaller files, your e-mail box (wherever it is on the net) is going to "fill up" before you get a tenth of what you've got out there. And I don't know what FreeDrive (New and Improved! Totally Meaningless Name!) costs, but you can get a burner for next to nothing these days, probably as cheap as you could get 200-500 MB of storage in cybernisia.

Someone else may contradict me, but if you could borrow a zip, tape, burner, or even another HDD, you'd be home free. Otherwise looks to me like you're waiting until you can buy one of the above.

12. jauxier

jauxier Thread Starter

I haven't tried this to see if it will work for me yet. But I found this site for free storage. Check it out 500MB for free I signed up and have an account. Kind of lengthy signup, but hey its free. Here is a link to the signup page.

500MB for Free! Sell your files online!
    Signup at Zden.com :
    http://www.zden.com/Signup.asp?id=108355

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/43608

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice