Outlook 2000 - Preview Pane Not available

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ash2602

Hi,

I have bene using Outlook 2000 for years now and all of a sudden, I no longer have a preview pane option. It's not listed in the "view" menu.

I'm not running Outlook in "safe" mode.

Any ideas?

Generally I don't recommend using the Preview Pane as a security measure. This actually opens up the e-mail. As a result you are more vulnerable to viruses.

Ash2602

Appreciate the reply and the advise, however I am aware of the security issues involving the Preview Pane. Just wondered if anyone had come across this problem before. The option to either have or not have the preview pane has vanished!

Is this in a work/office environment? Have you installed any recent service packs for Office? THere is a command line switch of /Nopreview that turns off the preview pane entirely.

Might want to read the follow article from MS to see if the particular registry key is there:

"How to turn off the preview pane in Outlook 2000"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;832561

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00020D75-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Shell\Open\Command
4. In the right pane, right-click Default, and then click Modify.
5. Type the path for your Outlook.exe file with the /nopreview switch in the Edit String dialog box, and then click OK.

For example, type"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE\Outlook.exe"/nopreview in the Edit String dialog box.
6. On the Registry menu, click Exit.
7. Restart Outlook 2000.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online