Outlook 2000: problem with pop mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Adster

"No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient."

When trying to send pop mail from Outlook 2000, I almost always get the error above. I have Outlook 2000 setup for internet mail, and also establish internet connection manually (under TOOLS>SERVICES). Note, I do have my internet connection open when I try to send a message!

What I do to get around this problem is open OE5.1 and send an email to my email address using the same pop server, but as a different user (i.e. it uses the same outgoing mail server mail.bigpond.com).

Once I have done this, I can usually send messages with no problems from Outlook 2000. Note, I have no problems receiving mail in O2K, only sending.

I am unable to understand why this is the case. Why would OE5.1 have no problems using mail.bigpond.com as it's outgoing mail server but O2K seemingly unable to detect that there is even an outgoing mail server chosen?

My system is P166 64MB ram, win98 (first edition), Office 2000, IE5.1.

Any help with this strange problem would be greatly appreciated......

[This message has been edited by Adster (edited 04-01-2000).]

Adster

Yes I do have a file called "hosts.sam"

the contents are as follows:

# Copyright (c) 1998 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP stack for Windows98
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

I presume this last bit is the important bit... Also under my TCP/IP settings I have server assigned IP address - does this have anything to do with it?

HOSTS.SAM is a sample file and is ignored by windows.

I guess this means you don't have a HOSTS file.

So, try making one - plain text file (use Notepad to make it) called HOSTS.

In it put the following entry:

139.134.5.160 mail.bigpond.com

(note that it should be a TAB, not a space, between them)

Save that file, then try outlook and see if it helps any. If it doesn't, just delete the file.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

Adster

Should the extension on this file also be *.sam? Thanks for the reply too, I will try it as hosts.sam and see what happens.

Other than that my foolproof way is to start OE5.1, go online. Send a message to myself. Open Outlook 2000, hit send and receive then it seems to send ok after that.

Adster

No luck with your suggestion Larry, I guess I will have to continue with my own method even though I HATE it! (it's hard to explain to the fiance as well
)

No, SAM is for sample and is ignored.

The file should be HOSTS with no file extension.

Adster

No luck Larry, I still suffer from the same problem... I guess I will just have to stick to my "solution". Thanks for the tips!

Adster

Did I forget to mention that I was using Outlook 2000 as Corporate or Workgroup? Not that I think it should really make a difference - but, I changed it to IMO (internet mail only) and it seems to work ok now.

What I want to know, is why it won't work for Corporate or Workgroup but works fine for IMO?????

***Update*** I may have been a bit hasty in posting a "solution" to my problem as I am now receiving this error message:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. Server response: '551 relay from your IP is not authorised'. (Account:'Bigpond', SMTP Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', error number: '0x800ccc79)

????????????????????????????????????

[This message has been edited by Adster (edited 04-11-2000).]

Well, that last one sounds like your Email is being relayed from your server to theirs and theirs is saying NO because it doesn't accept external server mail. That is pretty normal, as most ISPs don't want spammers using their servers.

OE doesn't use your internal server at all so doesn't have this probelem.

Still don't have a solution for you though.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech (updated 4/16/2000):
http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

Adster

Larry, I think I found a solution to my problem.

I was using a different ISP to log on to the net than the one hosting my mail server. Their mail server doesn't allow this - as it aids in preventing spamming.

What do you think? I found it in a Microsoft knowledge base article.

Thanks for your help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online