1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Outlook 2000 Question...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by donny898, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

Hi,

In outlook 2000, it’s possible when you get mail relating to a specific category it sorts it out straight away automatically, so how would I set this up (what is the step-by-step method)?

Thanks in advance

2. Papermoon

Papermoon

3. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

Thanks, i'll try to follow them and let you know the result.

4. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

Outlook 98, 2000, or 2002

To set up a rule in Outlook 98, 2000, or 2002 to automate the handling of mail, follow these steps:

1. From the Tools menu, select Rules Wizard.

2. Click the New... button. A dialog box will open.

3. Under "Which type of rule do you want to create?", select the rule you would like to use.

4. Under "Rule description (click an underlined value to edit it)", if there are underlined words, click them to edit or add information about the rule.

5. Click Next.

6. Under "Which condition(s) do you want to check?", click the checkboxes for the conditions you want to use for the rule.

Note: Outlook 2000 and 2002 have an extra capability to check for a specific word or phrase in the body of the message. To do this, select the checkbox next to with specific words in the body and enter the text to search for.

7. Under "Rule description (click an underlined value to edit it)":

* To create a message to use with the rule, click the underlined words a specific message.
    * To specify the importance as low, normal, or high, click the underlined word importance.
    * To select names from the Global Address Book, click the underlined words people or distribution list.
    * To specify a word or phrase to search for in the recipient's address, click the underlined words specific words.
    * To enter a message flag to check for, click the underlined word action.

8. Click the Next button. The prompt will ask "This rule will be applied to every message you receive. Is this correct?" Click Yes.

9. Under "What do you want to do with the message?", click the checkbox to determine if the message is moved to a folder, deleted, or forwarded.

I tried to follow the above but the problem is that it didn't work.

What I want to do is, when I receive mail from someone it creates a folder with there name on it, which is the category then within that there are subject emails stemming off that. This is what I want to do, and it is possible as i have seen it done. So how do I go about doing this?

Thanks

5. Papermoon

Papermoon

hmm, I don't know of a way to have Outlook create the folder. I have always created the folder and then set up a rule.
    I guess it could be done in VB, but you would have to know who you want folders created for ahead of time, or some way of limiting the code so it did not create a new folder for every sender, or your spam and all would be sent to new folders too. I think very quicky you would have way too many folders!
    If anyone knows a utility that does this, i would like to see it, too!

6. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

The option is there in outlook, but you need to find it. I am waiting for my friend to get back to me about this issue.

7. donny898

donny898 Thread Starter

The Solution:

View, current view, customise current view, group by, from(drop down menu) :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice