Outlook 2000 - unable to receive mail

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bjc90278

I'm running Win 98 and have been using Outlook 2000 for my email for about 6 months. Everything's been fine until yesterday when I hit send/receive I got the following message:

6 message(s) couldn't be retrieved from the server. This usually happens when the connection to the server is lost due to server or network problems. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.

Download Error (Account: '[email protected]', POP3 Server:'Mail.rdondo1.ca.home.com', Error Number: 0x80040119)

I called my ISP and they couldn't figure it out. I also have Outlook Express loaded and so I tried that and it worked fine. I also installed Norton Antivirus 2000 about a week ago and the ISP said that might have something to do with it, so I disabled email protection in Norton and that didn't help. So I reconfiguered my user name settings and tried disabling all of Norton and that still didn't work.

I uninstalled MS Office 2000 and reinstalled it and THAT didn't work. I'm out of ideas. HELP!

I'm running a Pentium III 800 mhz on Win 98

Originally posted by bjc90278
I also have Outlook Express loaded and so I tried that and it worked fine.

What do you mean it worked fine? Did it download all the required mails?

I do know that that error mainly means that a mail with a too large attachment, or Server side AV software is backlogged, and can't process mails properly. The standard fix for this is for the server admin to delete the offending mail, and let the rest process through. Many ISPs have limits to how large attachments can be, and actually have locks that prevent those mails from being processed.

If OE did download the mails with no problems, and you have tried Outlook, what messages are you receiving now? Have you sent yourself a test mail from Outlook?

bjc90278

By "worked fine" I meant Outlook Express downloaded all 6 of the emails that Outlook 2000 saw were there but wouldn't download. I've done several "test" messages, and same problem. Outlook 2000 sees the message is there but gives the same error message that it can't be retrieved from the server.

I don't think it's a server problem because the emails download properly in Outlook Express.

Since my first post, I've also tried uninstalling Norton Anti-virus and Zone Alarm (firewall) and still having the same problem.

bjc90278

Well - I checked what was suggested in the MS article mentioned above (my settings were already correct) and I once again uninstalled ms office 2000, then ran Error 2000 and reinstalled ms office 2000 and getting the SAME error messages. This is sooooooooo frustrating! I just can't imagine what could be causing it.

[Edited by bjc90278 on 05-20-2001 at 02:27 AM]

Anne Troy

Anne
Hate to say it, bjc, but I have had this problem with @home from time to time. I did:

a) what you just did, OR
b) turned on web-based access, got the mail, then turned off web-based access again

bjc90278

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot - how do I turn off web-based mail? Should I uninstall Outlook Express - which seems to be working fine?

Anne Troy

Anne
No, you DON'T have to turn off web-based mail. It's just my little workaround to getting my mail "unstuck" from the server. I've had it happen maybe 3 times in the past year.

Anyway, web-based mail doesn't get turned on unless YOU turn it on by going to @home site and setting mail preference.

Sometimes, recreating your accounts helps too. I sometimes just have to go into the properties of an account to "unstick" the account from not receiving mail (I have about 7 accounts altogether). And sometimes, I just have to close and reopen Outlook.

Stupid, and I don't know if it's Outlook (I dont' THINK so, because I've never heard of it before). I never got that error that you got, tho. (I don't think.)

Same exact error message. I use pure mail to delete spam at the server. Outlook has been working great till today. I can send but get this trying to recieve. The download bar shows the mail being downloaded. It gets to the end of the bar and instead of showing messages, I get this. Win 98 SE, Tbird 1 gig, 256 megs RAM, Office 2000, SP1 and 3. I was able to d/l email from my server through mail2web fine. Will watch this to see what happens. Or if I get it figured...:rolleyes: I tried the repair office feature, and tried reinstalling office but haven't tried deleting. Gonna check for virus. (ran outlook virus checker and scanned C:, all clean).

At Microsoft, the numeric error number points to either a Directshow error or MAPI error.
MAPI_E_TABLE_TOO_BIG 80040403 -2147220477.

Just before this started, Outlook crashed with a Msgsrv error. I rebooted and all was fine. Still hunting...

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts